- <To the chief music-maker;
put to Shoshannim.
Be my saviour, O God;
because the waters have come in, even to my neck.
- My feet are deep in the soft earth, where there is no support;
I have come into deep waters, the waves are flowing over me.
- I am tired with my crying;
my throat is burning: my eyes are wasted with waiting for my God.
- Those who have hate for me without cause are greater in number than the hairs of my head;
those who are against me, falsely desiring my destruction, are very strong;
I gave back what I had not taken away.
- O God, you see how foolish I am;
and my wrongdoing is clear to you.
- Let not those who have hope in you be put to shame because of me, O Lord God of armies: let not those who are waiting for you be made low because of me, O God of Israel.
- I have been wounded with sharp words because of you;
my face has been covered with shame.
- I have become strange to my brothers, and like a man from a far country to my mother's children.
- I am on fire with passion for your house;
and the hard things which are said about you have come on me.
- My bitter weeping, and my going without food, were turned to my shame.
- When I put on the clothing of grief, they said evil of me.
- I am a cause of wonder to those in authority;
a song to those who are given to strong drink.
- But as for me, let my prayer be made to you, O Lord, at a time when you are pleased;
O God, give me an answer in your great mercy, for your salvation is certain.
- Take me from the grip of the sticky earth, so that I may not go down into it;
let me be lifted up from the deep waters.
- Let me not be covered by the flowing waters;
let not the deep waters go over my head, and let me not be shut up in the underworld.
- Give an answer to my words, O Lord;
for your mercy is good: be turned to me, because of your great pity.
- Let not your face be covered from your servant, for I am in trouble;
quickly give me an answer.
- Come near to my soul, for its salvation: be my saviour, because of those who are against me.
- You have seen my shame, how I was laughed at and made low;
my haters are all before you.
- My heart is broken by bitter words, I am full of grief;
I made a search for some to have pity on me, but there was no one;
I had no comforter.
- They gave me poison for my food;
and bitter wine for my drink.
- Let their table before them be for their destruction;
let their feasts become a net to take them.
- Let their eyes be blind so that they may not see;
let their bodies for ever be shaking.
- Let your curse come on them;
let the heat of your wrath overtake them.
- Give their houses to destruction, and let there be no one in their tents.
- Because they are cruel to him against whom your hand is turned;
they make bitter the grief of him who is wounded by you.
- Let their punishment be increased;
let them not come into your righteousness.
- Let their names be taken from the book of the living, let them not be numbered with the upright.
- But I am poor and full of sorrow;
let me be lifted up by your salvation, O Lord.
- I will give praise to the name of God with a song;
I will give glory to him for what he has done.
- This will be more pleasing to the Lord than an ox, or a young ox of full growth.
- The poor will see it and be glad: you who are lovers of God, let your hearts have life.
- For the ears of the Lord are open to the poor, and he takes thought for his prisoners.
- Let the heavens and the earth give praise to him, the seas, and everything moving in them.
- For God will be the saviour of Zion, and the builder of the towns of Judah;
so that it may be their resting-place and heritage.
- The seed of his servants will have their part in it, and there the lovers of his name will have rest.