- <Shiggaion of David;
a song which he made to the Lord, about the words of Cush the Benjamite.>
O Lord my God, I put my faith in you;
take me out of the hands of him who is cruel to me, and make me free;
- So that he may not come rushing on my soul like a lion, wounding it, while there is no one to be my saviour.
- O Lord my God, if I have done this;
if my hands have done any wrong;
- If I have given back evil to him who did evil to me, or have taken anything from him who was against me without cause;
- Let my hater go after my soul and take it;
let my life be crushed to the earth, and my honour into the dust.
- Come up, Lord, in your wrath;
be lifted up against my haters;
be awake, my God, give orders for the judging.
- The meeting of the nations will be round you;
take your seat, then, over them, on high.
- The Lord will be judge of the peoples;
give a decision for me, O Lord, because of my righteousness, and let my virtue have its reward.
- O let the evil of the evil-doer come to an end, but give strength to the upright: for men's minds and hearts are tested by the God of righteousness.
- God, who is the saviour of the upright in heart, is my breastplate.
- God is the judge of the upright, and is angry with the evil-doers every day.
- If a man is not turned from his evil, he will make his sword sharp;
his bow is bent and ready.
- He has made ready for him the instruments of death;
he makes his arrows flames of fire.
- That man is a worker of evil;
the seed of wrongdoing has given birth to deceit.
- He has made a hole deep in the earth, and is falling into the hole which he has made
- His wrongdoing will come back to him, and his violent behaviour will come down on his head.
- I will give praise to the Lord for his righteousness;
I will make a song to the name of the Lord Most High.