- Truly, God is good to Israel, even to such as are clean in heart.
- But as for me, my feet had almost gone from under me;
I was near to slipping;
- Because of my envy of the men of pride, when I saw the well-being of the wrongdoers.
- For they have no pain;
their bodies are fat and strong.
- They are not in trouble as others are;
they have no part in the unhappy fate of men.
- For this reason pride is round them like a chain;
they are clothed with violent behaviour as with a robe.
- Their eyes are bursting with fat;
they have more than their heart's desire.
- Their thoughts are deep with evil designs;
their talk from their seats of power is of cruel acts.
- Their mouth goes up to heaven;
their tongues go walking through the earth.
- For this reason they are full of bread;
and water is ever flowing for them.
- And they say, How will the Lord see this?
is there knowledge in the Most High?
- Truly, such are the sinners;
they do well at all times, and their wealth is increased.
- As for me, I have made my heart clean to no purpose, washing my hands in righteousness;
- For I have been troubled all the day;
every morning have I undergone punishment.
- If I would make clear what it is like, I would say, You are false to the generation of your children.
- When my thoughts were turned to see the reason of this, it was a weariness in my eyes;
- Till I went into God's holy place, and saw the end of the evil-doers.
- You put their feet where there was danger of slipping, so that they go down into destruction.
- How suddenly are they wasted!
fears are the cause of their destruction.
- As a dream when one is awake, they are ended;
they are like an image gone out of mind when sleep is over.
- My heart was made bitter, and I was pained by the bite of grief:
- As for me, I was foolish, and without knowledge;
I was like a beast before you.
- But still I am ever with you;
you have taken me by my right hand.
- Your wisdom will be my guide, and later you will put me in a place of honour.
- Whom have I in heaven but you?
and having you I have no desire for anything on earth.
- My flesh and my heart are wasting away: but God is the Rock of my heart and my eternal heritage.
- For those who are far away from you will come to destruction: you will put an end to all those who have not kept faith with you.
- But it is good for me to come near to God: I have put my faith in the Lord God, so that I may make clear all his works.