Of God, why have you put us away from you for ever?
why is the fire of your wrath smoking against the sheep who are your care?
- Keep in mind your band of worshippers, for whom you gave payment in the days which are past, whom you took for yourself as the people of your heritage;
even this mountain of Zion, which has been your resting-place.
- Go up and see the unending destruction;
all the evil which your haters have done in the holy place;
- Sending out their voices like lions among your worshippers;
they have put up their signs to be seen.
- They are cutting down, like a man whose blade is lifted up against the thick trees.
- Your doors are broken down with hammers and iron blades.
- They have put on fire your holy place;
they have made the place of your name unclean, pulling it down to the earth.
- They have said in their hearts, Let us put an end to them all together;
they have given over to the fire all God's places of worship in the land.
- We do not see our signs: there is no longer any prophet, or anyone among us to say how long.
- O God, how long will those who are against us say cruel things?
will the hater go on looking down on your name for ever?
- Why are you keeping back your hand, and covering your right hand in your robe?
- For from the past God is my King, working salvation in the earth.
- The sea was parted in two by your strength;
the heads of the great sea-beasts were broken.
- The heads of the great snake were crushed by you;
you gave them as food to the fishes of the sea.
- You made valleys for fountains and springs;
you made the ever-flowing rivers dry.
- The day is yours and the night is yours: you made the light and the sun.
- By you all the limits of the earth were fixed;
you have made summer and winter.
- Keep this in mind, O Lord, that your haters have said cruel things, and that your name has been looked down on by a people of evil behaviour.
- O give not the soul of your dove to the hawk;
let not the life of the poor go out of your memory for ever.
- Keep in mind your undertaking;
for the dark places of the earth are full of pride and cruel acts.
- O let not the crushed be turned back in shame;
let the low man and the poor give praise to your name.
O God, be the judge of your cause;
keep in mind the bitter things which the man of evil behaviour says against you every day.
- Keep in mind the voice of your haters;
the outcry of those who come against you goes up every day.