- <A Psalm.
O God, the nations have come into your heritage;
they have made your holy Temple unclean;
they have made Jerusalem a mass of broken walls.
- They have given the bodies of your servants as food to the birds of the air, and the flesh of your saints to the beasts of the earth.
- Their blood has been flowing like water round about Jerusalem;
there was no one to put them in their last resting-place.
- We are looked down on by our neighbours, we are laughed at and made sport of by those who are round us.
- How long, O Lord?
will you be angry for ever?
will your wrath go on burning like fire?
- Let your wrath be on the nations who have no knowledge of you, and on the kingdoms who have not made prayer to your name.
- For they have taken Jacob for their meat, and made waste his house.
- Do not keep in mind against us the sins of our fathers;
let your mercy come to us quickly, for we have been made very low.
- Give us help, O God of our salvation, for the glory of your name;
take us out of danger and give us forgiveness for our sins, because of your name.
- Why may the nations say, Where is their God?
Let payment for the blood of your servants be made openly among the nations before our eyes.
- Let the cry of the prisoner come before you;
with your strong arm make free the children of death;
- And give punishment seven times over into the breast of our neighbours for the bitter words which they have said against you, O Lord.
- So we your people, and the sheep of your flock, will give you glory for ever: we will go on praising you through all generations.