- <To the chief music-maker;
put to the Gittith.
Make a song to God our strength: make a glad cry to the God of Jacob.
- Take up the melody, playing on an instrument of music, even on corded instruments.
- Let the horn be sounded in the time of the new moon, at the full moon, on our holy feast-day:
- For this is a rule for Israel, and a law of the God of Jacob.
- He gave it to Joseph as a witness, when he went out over the land of Egypt;
then the words of a strange tongue were sounding in my ears.
- I took the weight from his back;
his hands were made free from the baskets.
- You gave a cry in your trouble, and I made you free;
I gave you an answer in the secret place of the thunder;
I put you to the test at the waters of Meribah.
- Give ear, O my people, and I will give you my word, O Israel, if you will only do as I say!
- There is to be no strange god among you;
you are not to give worship to any other god.
- I am the Lord your God, who took you up from the land of Egypt: let your mouth be open wide, so that I may give you food.
- But my people did not give ear to my voice;
Israel would have nothing to do with me.
- So I gave them up to the desires of their hearts;
that they might go after their evil purposes.
- If only my people would give ear to me, walking in my ways!
- I would quickly overcome their haters: my hand would be turned against those who make war on them.
- The haters of the Lord would be broken, and their destruction would be eternal.
- I would give them the best grain for food;
you would be full of honey from the rock.