- <A Song.
Of the sons of Korah.
To the chief music-maker;
put to Mahalath Leannoth.
Of Heman the Ezrahite.>
O Lord, God of my salvation, I have been crying to you for help by day and by night:
- Let my prayer come before you;
give ear to my cry:
- For my soul is full of evils, and my life has come near to the underworld.
- I am numbered among those who go down into the earth;
I have become like a man for whom there is no help:
- My soul is among the dead, like those in the underworld, to whom you give no more thought;
for they are cut off from your care.
- You have put me in the lowest deep, even in dark places.
- The weight of your wrath is crushing me, all your waves have overcome me.
- You have sent my friends far away from me;
you have made me a disgusting thing in their eyes: I am shut up, and not able to come out.
- My eyes are wasting away because of my trouble: Lord, my cry has gone up to you every day, my hands are stretched out to you.
- Will you do works of wonder for the dead?
will the shades come back to give you praise?
- Will the story of your mercy be given in the house of the dead?
will news of your faith come to the place of destruction?
- May there be knowledge of your wonders in the dark?
or of your righteousness where memory is dead?
- But to you did I send up my cry, O Lord;
in the morning my prayer came before you.
- Lord, why have you sent away my soul?
why is your face covered from me?
- I have been troubled and in fear of death from the time when I was young;
your wrath is hard on me, and I have no strength.
- The heat of your wrath has gone over me;
I am broken by your cruel punishments.
- They are round me all the day like water;
they have made a circle about me.
- You have sent my friends and lovers far from me;
I am gone from the memory of those who are dear to me.