Of Ethan the Ezrahite.>
My song will be of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth will I make his faith clear to all generations.
- For you have said, Mercy will be made strong for ever;
my faith will be unchanging in the heavens.
- I have made an agreement with the man of my selection, I have made an oath to David my servant;
- I will make your seed go on for ever, your kingdom will be strong through all generations.
- In heaven let them give praise for your wonders, O Lord;
and your unchanging faith among the saints.
- For who is there in the heavens in comparison with the Lord?
who is like the Lord among the sons of the gods?
- God is greatly to be feared among the saints, and to be honoured over all those who are about him.
- O Lord God of armies, who is strong like you, O Jah?
and your unchanging faith is round about you.
- You have rule over the sea in storm;
when its waves are troubled, you make them calm.
- Rahab was crushed by you like one wounded to death;
with your strong arm you put to flight all your haters.
- Yours are the heavens, and the earth is yours;
you have made the world, and everything which is in it.
- You have made the north and the south;
Tabor and Hermon are sounding with joy at your name.
- Yours is an arm of power;
strong is your hand and high your right hand.
- The seat of your kingdom is resting on righteousness and right judging: mercy and good faith come before your face.
- Happy are the people who have knowledge of the holy cry: the light of your face, O Lord, will be shining on their way.
- In your name will they have joy all the day: in your righteousness will they be lifted up.
- For you are the glory of their strength;
in your pleasure will our horn be lifted up.
- For our breastplate is the Lord;
and our king is the Holy One of Israel's.
- Then your voice came to your holy one in a vision, saying, I have put the crown on a strong one, lifting up one taken from among the people.
- I have made discovery of David my servant;
I have put my holy oil on his head.
- My hand will be his support;
my arm will give him strength.
- The deceit of those who are against him will not overcome him;
he will not be troubled by the sons of evil.
- I will have those who are against him broken before his face, and his haters will be crushed under my blows.
- But my faith and my mercy will be with him;
and in my name will his horn be lifted up.
- I will put his hand in the sea, and his right hand in the rivers.
- He will say to me, You are my father, my God, and the Rock of my salvation.
- And I will make him the first of my sons, most high over the kings of the earth.
- I will keep my mercy for him for ever;
my agreement with him will not be changed.
- His seed will keep their place for ever;
his kingdom will be eternal, like the heavens.
- If his children give up my law, and are not ruled by my decisions;
- If my rules are broken, and my orders are not kept;
- Then I will send punishment on them for their sin;
my rod will be the reward of their evil-doing.
- But I will not take away my mercy from him, and will not be false to my faith.
- I will be true to my agreement;
the things which have gone out of my lips will not be changed.
- I have made an oath once by my holy name, that I will not be false to David.
- His seed will not come to an end for ever;
the seat of his kingdom will be like the sun before me.
- It will be fixed for ever like the moon;
and the witness in heaven is true.
- But you have put him away in disgust;
you have been angry with the king of your selection.
- You have made your agreement with your servant of no effect: you have had no respect for his crown, it has come down even to the earth.
- All his walls are broken down;
you have given his strong towers to destruction.
- All those who come by take away his goods;
he is laughed at by his neighbours.
- You have given power to the right hand of his haters;
you have made glad all those who are against him.
- His sword is turned back;
you have not been his support in the fight.
- You have put an end to his glory: the seat of his kingdom has been levelled to the earth.
- You have made him old before his time;
he is covered with shame.
- How long, O Lord, will you Keep yourself for ever from our eyes?
how long will your wrath be burning like fire?
- See how short my time is;
why have you made all men for no purpose?
- What man now living will not see death?
will he be able to keep back his soul from the underworld?
- Lord, where are your earlier mercies?
where is the oath which you made to David in unchanging faith?
- Keep in mind, O Lord, the shame of your servants, and how the bitter words of all the people have come into my heart;
- The bitter words of your haters, O Lord, shaming the footsteps of your king.
- Let the Lord be praised for ever.
So be it, So be it.