- <A Prayer of Moses, the man of God.>
Lord, you have been our resting-place in all generations.
- Before the mountains were made, before you had given birth to the earth and the world, before time was, and for ever, you are God.
- You send man back to his dust;
and say, Go back, you children of men.
- For to you a thousand years are no more than yesterday when it is past, and like a watch in the night.
- In the morning it is green;
in the evening it is cut down, and becomes dry.
- We are burned up by the heat of your passion, and troubled by your wrath.
- You have put our evil doings before you, our secret sins in the light of your face.
- For all our days have gone by in your wrath;
our years come to an end like a breath.
- The measure of our life is seventy years;
and if through strength it may be eighty years, its pride is only trouble and sorrow, for it comes to an end and we are quickly gone.
- Who has knowledge of the power of your wrath, or who takes note of the weight of your passion?
- So give us knowledge of the number of our days, that we may get a heart of wisdom.
- Come back, O Lord;
let your purpose for your servants be changed.
- In the morning give us your mercy in full measure;
so that we may have joy and delight all our days.
- Make us glad in reward for the days of our sorrow, and for the years in which we have seen evil.
- Make your work clear to your servants, and your glory to their children.
- Let the pleasure of the Lord our God be on us: O Lord, give strength to the work of our hands.