- I have come into my garden, my sister, my bride;
to take my myrrh with my spice;
my wax with my honey;
my wine with my milk.
Take meat, O friends;
take wine, yes, be overcome with love.
- I am sleeping, but my heart is awake;
it is the sound of my loved one at the door, saying, Be open to me, my sister, my love, my dove, my very beautiful one;
my head is wet with dew, and my hair with the drops of the night.
- I have put off my coat;
how may I put it on?
My feet are washed;
how may I make them unclean?
- My loved one put his hand on the door, and my heart was moved for him.
- I got up to let my loved one in;
and my hands were dropping with myrrh, and my fingers with liquid myrrh, on the lock of the door.
- I made the door open to my loved one;
but my loved one had taken himself away, and was gone, my soul was feeble when his back was turned on me;
I went after him, but I did not come near him;
I said his name, but he gave me no answer.
- The keepers who go about the town overtook me;
they gave me blows and wounds;
the keepers of the walls took away my veil from me.
- I say to you, O daughters of Jerusalem, if you see my loved one, what will you say to him?
That I am overcome with love.
- What is your loved one more than another, O fairest among women?
What is your loved one more than another, that you say this to us?
- My loved one is white and red, the chief among ten thousand.
- His head is as the most delicate gold;
his hair is thick, and black as a raven.
- His eyes are as the eyes of doves by the water streams, washed with milk, and rightly placed.
- His face is as beds of spices, giving out perfumes of every sort;
his lips like lilies, dropping liquid myrrh.
- His hands are as rings of gold ornamented with beryl-stones;
his body is as a smooth plate of ivory covered with sapphires.
- His legs are as pillars of stone on a base of delicate gold;
his looks are as Lebanon, beautiful as the cedar-tree.
- His mouth is most sweet;
yes, he is all beautiful.
This is my loved one, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.