- Sorrow to her who is uncontrolled and unclean, the cruel town!
- She gave no attention to the voice, she had no use for teaching, she put no faith in the Lord, she did not come near to her God.
- Her rulers are like loud-voiced lions in her;
her judges are wolves of the evening, crushing up the bones before the morning.
- Her prophets are good-for-nothing persons, full of deceit: her priests have made the holy place unclean and have gone violently against the law.
- The Lord in her is upright;
he will not do evil;
every morning he lets his righteousness be seen, he is unchanging;
but the evil-doer has no sense of shame.
- I have had the nations cut off, their towers are broken down;
I have made their streets a waste so that no one goes through them: destruction has overtaken their towns, so that there is no man living in them.
- I said, Certainly you will go in fear of me, and come under my training, so that whatever I may send on her may not be cut off before her eyes: but they got up early and made all their works evil.
- For this reason, go on waiting for me, says the Lord, till the day when I come up as a witness: for my purpose is to send for the nations and to get the kingdoms together, so that I may let loose on them my passion, even all my burning wrath: for all the earth will be burned up in the fire of my bitter passion.
- For then I will give the people a clean language, so that they may all make prayer to the Lord and be his servants with one mind.
- From over the rivers of Ethiopia, and from the sides of the north, they will come to me with an offering.
- In that day you will have no shame on account of all the things in which you did evil against me: for then I will take away from among you those who were lifted up in pride, and you will no longer be lifted up with pride in my holy mountain.
- But I will still have among you a quiet and poor people, and they will put their faith in the name of the Lord.
- The rest of Israel will do no evil and say no false words;
the tongue of deceit will not be seen in their mouth: for they will take their food and their rest, and no one will be a cause of fear to them.
- Make melody, O daughter of Zion;
give a loud cry, O Israel;
be glad and let your heart be full of joy, O daughter of Jerusalem.
- The Lord has taken away those who were judging you, he has sent your haters far away: the King of Israel, even the Lord, is among you: you will have no more fear of evil.
- In that day it will be said to Jerusalem, Have no fear: O Zion, let not your hands be feeble.
- The Lord your God is among you, as a strong saviour: he will be glad over you with joy, he will make his love new again, he will make a song of joy over you as in the time of a holy feast.
- I will take away your troubles, lifting up your shame from off you.
- See, at that time I will put an end to all who have been troubling you: I will give salvation to her whose steps are uncertain, and get together her who has been sent in flight;
and I will make them a cause of praise and an honoured name in all the earth, when I let their fate be changed.
- At that time I will make you come in, at that time I will get you together: for I will make you a name and a praise among all the peoples of the earth when I let your fate be changed before your eyes, says the Lord.