- And the chylde Samuel ministred vnto the Lorde before Eli, and the worde of the Lord was precious in those dayes, neither was there any open vision.
- And as at that tyme Eli lay in his place, his eyes began to waxe dymme that he coulde not see.
- And yet the lampe of God went out, Samuel layde hym downe to sleepe in the temple of the Lord, where the arke of God was.
- And the Lorde called Samuel.
And he aunswered, I am here.
- And he ran vnto Eli, and sayde: Here am I, for thou calledst me.
And he said, I called thee not, go againe and sleepe.
And he went, and layde hym downe to sleepe.
- And the Lorde called once againe, Samuel.
And Samuel arose and went to Eli, and sayde: I am here, for thou diddest call me.
And he aunswered: I called thee not my sonne, go againe and sleepe.
- Samuel knewe not yet the Lorde, neither was the worde of the Lorde yet opened vnto hym.
- And the Lorde went to, and called Samuel the thirde tyme.
And he arose and went to Eli, and saide: I am here, for thou hast called me.
And Eli perceaued that the Lord had called the childe.
- Therefore Eli sayde vnto Samuel: Go and sleepe, and yf he call thee, then say: Speake Lorde, for thy seruaunt heareth thee.
So Samuel went, and slept in his place.
- And the Lorde came, and stoode and called as before, Samuel, Samuel.
Then Samuel aunswered: Speake, for thy seruaunt heareth.
- And the Lorde saide to Samuel: Beholde, I wyll do a thing in Israel, that both the eares of as many as heareth it shall tyngle.
- In that day, I wyll rayse vp against Eli all thynges whiche I haue spoken concernyng his house: when I begyn, I wyll also make an ende.
- I haue tolde hym that I wyll iudge his house for euer, for the wickednesse which he knoweth: For whe [the people] cursed his sonnes for ye same [wickednesse] he hath not corrected them.
- And therfore I haue sworne vnto the house of Eli, that the wickednesse of Elies house shall not be purged with sacrifice nor offeryng for euer.
- Samuel slept vntyl the mornyng, and opened the doores of the house of the Lorde: and Samuel feared to shewe Eli the vision.
- Then Eli called Samuel, and sayde: Samuel, my sonne.
And he aunswered: Here am I.
- He saide: What is that the Lord hath saide vnto thee?
I pray thee hyde it not from me: God do so to thee, & more also, if thou hyde any thyng from me of all that he sayde vnto thee.
- And Samuel tolde hym euerywhyt, and hyd nothyng from hym.
And he saide: It is the Lord, let hym do what seemeth hym good.
- And Samuel grewe, and the Lorde was with hym, and left none of his wordes vnperfourmed.
- And all Israel, from Dan to Beerseba, wyst that faythfull Samuel was the Lordes prophete.
- And the Lorde appeared againe in Silo: for the Lorde opened him selfe to Samuel in Silo, through the worde of the Lorde.