- Thus hath the Lorde God shewed vnto me, & beholde, he fourmed grashoppers in the beginning of the shooting vp of ye latter growth, and lo it was in the latter growth, after the kinges mowing.
- And when they hath made an end of eating the grasse of the lande, then I sayde, O Lorde God, spare I beseche thee: who shall rayse vp Iacob?
for he is smal.
- So the Lorde repented for this: it shall not be, sayth the Lorde.
- Thus also hath the Lord God shewed vnto me, and behold, the Lord God called to iudgement, by fire, & it deuoured the great deepe, and did eate vp a part.
- Then sayde I, O Lorde God, ceasse I beseche thee: who shall rayse vp Iacob?
for he is smal.
- So the Lord repented for this: this also shall not be, sayth the Lorde God.
- Thus againe he shewed me, & beholde the Lorde stoode vpon a wall [made] by line, with a line in his hande.
- And the Lorde sayde vnto me, Amos what seest thou?
And I sayde, A line.
Then sayd the Lorde, Beholde I will set a line in the mids of my people Israel, and wyll passe by them no more.
- And the hie places of Isaac shalbe desolate, and the temples of Israel shalbe destroyed, and I will rise against the house of Ieroboam with the sworde.
- Then Amazia the priest of Bethel sent to Ieroboam king of Israel, saying: Amos hath conspired against thee in the mids of the house of Israel: the lande is not able to beare all his wordes.
- For thus Amos sayth: Ieroboam shal die by the sworde, and Israel shalbe led away captiue out of their owne lande.
- Also Amazia sayde to Amos, O thou the sear, Go, flee thou away into the lande of Iuda, and there eate thy bread, and prophecie there.
- But prophecie no more at Bethel: for it is the kinges chappell, & it is the kinges court.
- Then aunswered Amos, and sayde to Amazia, I was no prophete, neither was I a prophetes sonne: but I was an heardeman, and a gatherer of wilde figges.
- And the Lorde toke me as I folowed the flocke, and the Lord sayde vnto me, Go, prophecie vnto my people Israel.
- Now therfore heare thou the word of the Lorde: Thou sayest, Prophecie not against Israel, and speake nothing against the house of Isaac.
- Therfore thus sayth the Lorde, Thy wyfe shalbe an harlot in the citie, and thy sonnes and thy daughters shall fall by the sworde, and thy land shalbe deuided by line, and thou shalt die in a polluted land, and Israel shall surely go into captiuitie foorth of his lande.