- And the men of Ephraim gathered them selues together, & went northwarde, & sayd vnto Iephthah: Wherfore wentest thou to fight against the children of Ammon, and dyddest not call vs to go with thee?
we will therfore burne thine house vpon thee with fire.
- And Iephthah sayde vnto them, I & my people were at great stryfe with the children of Ammon: And when I called you, ye deliuered me not out of their handes.
- And when I sawe that ye deliuered me not, I put my lyfe in my handes, and went vpon the children of Ammon, and the Lorde deliuered them into my handes: Wherfore then are ye come vppon me nowe, to fight against me?
- Iephthah therfore gathered together all the men of Gilead, and fought with the Ephraites.
And the men of Gilead smote the Ephraites, because they sayd: Ye Gileadites are but runneagates of Ephraim, among the Ephraites and the Manassites.
- Moreouer, the men of Gilead toke the passages of Iordane before the Ephraites: And when those Ephraites that were escaped, said, Let me go ouer: then the men of Gilead sayde vnto hym, Art thou an Ephraite?
If he sayde, nay:
- Then sayde they vnto him: Then say, Schibboleth.
And he sayde, Sibboleth: for he coulde not so pronounce.
And then they toke him, and slue him at the passages of Iordane: And there were ouerthrowen at that time of the Ephraites fourtie and two thousande.
- And Iephthah iudged Israel six yeres, then died Iephthah the Gileadite, and was buried in [one of] ye cities of Gilead.
- After this man, iudged Israel one Ibzan of Bethlehem.
- And he had thirtie sonnes and thirtie daughters, whom he sent out, and toke in thirtie daughters from abrode for his sonnes.
And when Ibzan had iudged Israel seuen yere,
- He died, & was buried at Bethlehem.
- After him, Elon a Zabulonite iudged Israel ten yeres.
- And Elon the Zabulonite died, & was buried in Aialon, in the countrey of Zabulon.
- After him, Abdon the sonne of Hellel, a Pharathonite, iudged Israel.
- And he had fourtie sonnes, and thirtie neuewes, that rode on threscore and ten asse coltes: And when Abdon the sonne of Hellel the Pharathonite had iudged Israel eight yeres,
- He died, & was buryed in Pharathon in the lande of Ephraim, in the mount of the Amalekites.