- Before the feast of the Passouer, when Iesus knewe that his houre was come, yt he shoulde departe out of this world vnto the father: When he loued his which were in the world, vnto the ende he loued them.
- And when supper was ended (after that the deuyll had put in the heart of Iudas Iscariot Simons sonne, to betray hym)
- Iesus knowyng that the father had geuen all thynges into his handes, and that he was come from God, and went to God:
- He rose from supper, and layde asyde his vpper garmentes: And when he had taken a towel, he gyrded hym selfe.
- After that, he powred water into a bason, and began to washe the disciples feete, and to wype them with the towel wherwith he was gyrded.
- Then came he to Simon Peter.
And Peter sayde vnto hym: Lorde, doest thou wasshe my feete?
- Iesus aunswered, & sayde vnto hym: What I do, thou wotest not nowe, but thou shalt knowe hereafter.
- Peter sayth vnto hym: Thou shalt neuer wasshe my feete.
Iesus aunswered hym: If I wasshe thee not, thou hast no part with me.
- Simon Peter sayth vnto him: Lorde, not my feete only, but also the handes, and the head.
- Iesus sayth to hym: He that is wasshed, nedeth not saue to washe his feete, but is cleane euery whit.
And ye are cleane, but not all.
- For he knewe who it was that should betray hym.
Therfore sayde he: ye are not all cleane.
- So, after he had wasshed their feete, and receaued his clothes, and was set downe agayne, he sayde vnto them: Wote ye what I haue done to you?
- Ye call me Maister, and Lorde, and ye say well, for so am I.
- If I then your Lorde and Maister, haue wasshed your feete, ye also ought to wasshe one anothers feete.
- For I haue geuen you an ensample, that ye shoulde do as I haue done to you.
- Ueryly, veryly, I say vnto you: The seruaunt is not greater the his maister, neither the messenger greater then he that sent hym.
- Yf ye knowe these thynges, happy are ye, yf ye do them.
- I speake not of you all.
I knowe whom I haue chosen.
But that the scripture may be fulfylled: He that eateth bread with me, hath lyft vp his heele agaynst me.
- Nowe tell I you before it come: that when it is come to passe, ye myght beleue that I am he.
- Ueryly, veryly, I say vnto you, he that receaueth whomsoeuer I sende, receaueth me: And he that receaueth me, receaueth hym that sent me.
- When Iesus had thus sayde, he was troubled in spirite, and testified, & saide: Ueryly, veryly, I say vnto you, that one of you shall betray me.
- Then the disciples loked one on another, doubtyng of whom he spake.
- There was one of Iesus disciples, leanyng on Iesus bosome, [euen he] whom Iesus loued.
- To hym beckened Simon Peter therfore, that he shoulde aske who it was of whom he spake.
- He then, when he leaned on Iesus brest, sayde vnto hym: Lorde, who is it?
- Iesus aunswered: He it is to whom I geue a sop when I haue dipped it.
And he wet the sop, and gaue it to Iudas Iscariot, Simons sonne.
- And after the sop, Satan entred into hym.
Then sayde Iesus vnto hym: That thou doest, do quickly.
- That wiste no man at the table, for what intent he spake vnto hym.
- Some of the thought, because Iudas had the bagge, that Iesus had sayde vnto hym, bye those thynges that we haue neede of agaynst the feast: or, that he shoulde geue somethyng to ye poore.
- Assoone then, as he had receaued the sop, he went immediatly out: and it was nyght.
- Therfore, when he was gone out, Iesus sayd, Nowe is the sonne of man glorified: And God is glorified in hym.
- Yf God be glorified in hym, God shall also glorifie hym in hym selfe, and shall strayghtway glorifie hym.
- Litle children, yet a litle whyle am I with you.
Ye shall seeke me: and as I sayde vnto the Iewes, whither I go, thither can ye not come.
Also to you say I nowe:
- A newe commaundement geue I vnto you, that ye loue together, as I haue loued you, that euen so ye loue one another.
- By this shall all men knowe that ye are my disciples, yf ye haue loue one to another.
- Simon Peter saide vnto him: Lorde, whither goest thou?
Iesus aunswered hym: Whither I go, thou canst not folowe me nowe, but thou shalt folowe me afterwardes.
- Peter sayde vnto hym: Lorde, why can not I folowe thee nowe?
I wyll ieoparde my lyfe for thy sake.
- Iesus aunswered hym: Wylt thou ieoparde thy lyfe for my sake?
Uerly, veryly, I saye vnto thee, the Cocke shall not crowe, tyll thou haue denyed me thryse.