- Iesus went vnto mout Oliuete.
- And early in the mornyng he came agayne into the temple, and all the people came vnto hym, & he sate downe and taught them.
- And the scribes and pharisees brought vnto hym a woman taken in adulterie, & when they had set her in the middes,
- They sayde vnto hym: Maister, this woman was taken in adulterie, euen as the deede was a doyng.
- Moyses in the lawe commaunded vs that suche shoulde be stoned: But what sayest thou?
- This they sayde to tempte hym, that they myght accuse hym.
But Iesus stowped downe, and with his fynger wrote on the grounde.
- So, when they continued asking him, he lyft vp hym selfe, & sayde vnto them: Let hym that is among you without sinne, caste the first stone at her.
- And agayne he stowped downe, and wrote on the grounde.
- And when they hearde this, beyng accused of their owne consciences, they went out one by one, begynnyng at the eldest, euen vnto the last: and Iesus was left alone, & the woman standyng in the myddes.
- When Iesus had lyft vp hym selfe, & sawe no man but the woman, he sayde vnto her: Woma where are those thine accusers?
Hath no man condempned thee?
- She sayde, No man Lorde.
And Iesus sayde, Neither do I condempne thee: Go, and sinne no more.
- Then spake Iesus agayne vnto them, saying, I am the light of ye world: He that foloweth me, doth not walke in darknesse, but shal haue the light of life.
- The pharisees therfore said vnto him: Thou bearest recorde of thy selfe, thy recorde is not true.
- Iesus aunswered, & saide vnto them: Though I beare recorde of my selfe, yet my recorde is true.
For I knowe whence I came, & whyther I go: But ye can not tel whence I come, and whyther I go.
- Ye iudge after the fleshe, I iudge no man.
- And if I iudge, my iudgement is true: For I am not alone, but I and the father that sent me.
- It is also written in your lawe, that the testimonie of two men is true.
- I am one that beareth witnesse of my selfe, & the father that sent me beareth witnesse of me.
- Then sayde they vnto hym: Where is thy father?
Iesus aunswered, Ye neither knowe me, nor yet my father: Yf ye had knowen me, ye should haue knowen my father also.
- These wordes spake Iesus in ye treasurie, as he taught in the temple, and no man layde handes on hym, for his houre was not yet come.
- Then sayde Iesus againe vnto them: I go my way, and ye shall seeke me, and shall dye in your synnes: Whyther I go, thyther can ye not come.
- Then sayde the Iewes: Wyll he kyll hym selfe, because he saith, whyther I go, thyther can ye not come?
- And he sayde vnto them: ye are from beneathe, I am from aboue: ye are of this worlde, I am not of this worlde.
- I sayde therefore vnto you, that you shall dye in your sinnes.
For yf ye beleue not that I am he, ye shall dye in your sinnes.
- Then sayde they vnto hym: Who art thou?
And Iesus saith vnto them: Euen the very same thyng that I sayde vnto you from the begynnyng.
- I haue many thynges to saye, and to iudge of you.
Yea, & he that sent me, is true: And I speake to the world, those thynges which I haue hearde of hym.
- Howebeit, they vnderstoode not that he spake to them of his father.
- Then saide Iesus vnto them: When ye haue lift vp [an hye] the sonne of man, then shall ye knowe that I am he, and that I do nothyng of my selfe: but as my father hath taught me, euen so I speake these thynges.
- And he that sent me, is with me.
The father hath not left me alone: For I do alwayes those thynges that please him.
- As he spake those wordes, many beleued on hym.
- Then sayde Iesus to those Iewes which beleued on him: Yf ye continue in my word, then are ye my very disciples.
- And ye shall knowe the trueth, and the trueth shall make you free.
- They aunswered hym: We be Abrahams seede, and were neuer bonde to any man: howe sayest thou then, ye shalbe made free?
- Iesus aunswered them: Ueryly, veryly I say vnto you, that whosoeuer comitteth sinne, is the seruaunt of sinne.
- And the seruaut abideth not in ye house for euer: but the sonne abydeth euer.
- Yf the sonne therefore shall make you free, then are ye free in deede.
- I know that ye are Abrahams seede, but ye seke [meanes] to kyll me, because my worde hath no place in you.
- I speake that whiche I haue seene with my father: and ye do that whiche ye haue seene with your father.
- They aunswered, and saide vnto him: Abraham is our father.
Iesus saith vnto them: Yf ye were Abrahams childre, ye woulde do the workes of Abraham.
- But now ye go about to kyll me, a ma that hath tolde you the trueth, which I haue heard of god: this did not Abraha.
- Ye do the deedes of your father.
Then said they to him: We be not borne of fornication, we haue one father, euen God.
- Iesus saide vnto them: Yf God were your father, truely ye woulde loue me: For I proceaded foorth, and came from God: neither came I of my selfe, but he sent me.
- Why do ye not knowe my speache?
euen because ye cannot heare my word.
- Ye are of your father the deuyll, and the lustes of your father wyll ye do.
He was a murtherer from the begynnyng, and abode not in the trueth: because there is no trueth in hym.
When he speaketh a lye, he speaketh of his owne: For he is a lyer, and the father of the same thyng.
- And because I tel you the trueth, therfore ye beleue me not.
- Which of you rebuketh me of sinne?
Yf I say the trueth, why do not ye beleue me?
- He that is of god, heareth gods wordes.
Ye therfore heare the not, because ye are not of God.
- Then aunswered the Iewes, & saide vnto hym: Say we not well that thou art a Samaritane, and hast the deuyl?
- Iesus aunswered, I haue not the deuyll: but I honour my father, and ye haue dishonoured me.
- I seke not myne owne praise, there is one that seketh, and iudgeth.
- Ueryly veryly I saye vnto you, yf a man kepe my saying, he shall neuer see death.
- Then sayde the Iewes vnto hym: Now know we that thou hast ye deuyll.
Abraham is dead, & the prophetes: and thou sayest, yf a man kepe my saying, he shall neuer taste of death.
- Art thou greater the our father Abraham, which is dead?
and the prophetes are dead: whom makest thou thy selfe?
- Iesus aunswered: Yf I honour my selfe, mine honour is nothing.
It is my father that honoureth me, which ye say is your God:
- And yet ye haue not knowen him, but I knowe hym: And if I say I knowe hym not, I shalbe a lyer lyke vnto you.
But I knowe hym, & kepe his saying.
- Your father Abraham was glad to see my day: and he saw it, and reioyced.
- Then sayde the Iewes vnto hym: Thou art not yet fiftie yeres olde, & hast thou seene Abraham.
- Iesus sayde vnto them: Ueryly, veryly I saye vnto you, before Abraham was, I am.
- Then toke they vp stones to caste at hym: but Iesus hyd hym selfe, and went out of the temple.