- In the lande of Hus there was a man whose name was Iob, & the same was a perfect and iust man, one that feared God and eschued euill.
- And he had seuen sonnes and three daughters.
- His substaunce also was seuen thousand sheepe, and three thousand camels, fiue hundred yoke of oxen, and fiue hundred shee asses, and a very great householde: so that he was one of the most principall men among all them of the east [countrey.]
- And his sonnes went and banquetted in their houses euery one his day, and sent for their three sisters to eate and drinke with them.
- And when the dayes of their banquetting were gone about, Iob sent and sanctified them, and gat vp early and offered for euery one a burnt offring: For Iob saide, It may be that my sonnes haue done some offence, & haue ben vnthankfull to God in their heartes.
Thus did Iob euery day.
- And vpon a day when the children of God came and stoode before the lord, Satan came also among them.
- And the Lorde saide vnto Satan Whence comest thou?
Satan aunswered the Lorde and saide: From compassing the earth to and fro, & from walking through it.
- And the Lorde saide vnto Satan: Hast thou not considered my seruaunt Iob, how there is none lyke him in the earth?
a perfect and a iust man, one that feareth God, and eschueth euill?
- Satan aunswered, and saide vnto the Lorde: Doth Iob feare God for naught?
- Hast thou not preserued him and his house, and al that he hath on euery side?
Thou hast blessed the worke of his handes, and his possession is encreased in the lande.
- But laye thyne hand now vpon him, and touche all that he hath, and he shall curse thee to thy face.
- And the Lorde saide vnto Satan: Lo, all that he hath be in thy power, only vpon him selfe see that thou lay not thine hand.
And Satan went foorth from the presence of the Lorde.
- And vpon a certayne day, when his sonnes and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brothers house,
- There came a messenger vnto Iob, and sayde: The oxen were plowing and the asses feeding beside them:
- And the Sabees came violently, and toke them away, yea they haue slayne thy seruauntes with the edge of the sword: and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.
- While he was yet speaking, there came another, and sayde: The fire of God is fallen from heauen, and hath brent vp thy sheepe and seruauntes, and consumed them: and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.
- And whyle he was yet speaking there came another, and sayde: The Caldees made out their bandes, and fel vpon the camels, and haue caried them away, yea and slayne thy seruauntes with the sworde: and I only am gotten away alone to tell thee.
- And whyle he was yet speaking there came an other, and sayde: Thy sonnes and thy daughters were eating and drincking wine in their eldest brothers house,
- And behold there came a mightie great wind from beyond the wildernesse, and smote the foure corners of the house, whiche fell vpon thy children, and they are dead: and I am gotten away alone to tell thee.
- Then Iob stoode vp, and rent his clothes, & shaued his head, fell downe vpon the ground, worshipped,
- And sayde: Naked came I out of my mothers wombe, & naked shall I turne thyther againe: The Lorde gaue & the Lord hath taken away, blessed be the name of the Lorde.
- In all these thinges dyd Iob not offende, nor charged God foolishly.