- And on a day the children of God came and stoode before the Lorde, and Satan came also among the, and stoode before the Lorde.
- And the Lorde sayde vnto Satan: From whence commest thou?
Satan aunswered the Lorde, and sayd: I haue gone about the lande, walked thorow it.
- And the Lorde sayde vnto Satan: Hast thou not considered my seruaunt Iob?
howe there is none like vnto hym in the earth, a perfect and a iust man?
one that feareth God, and eschueth euil, & continueth still in his vprightnesse, although thou mouedst me against hym, to destroy him without cause.
- And Satan aunswered the Lord, and sayd, Skinne for skinne, yea a man wil geue al that euer he hath for his life.
- But lay thyne hande nowe vpon hym, and touch [once] his bone and his fleshe, and he shall curse thee to thy face.
- And the Lord sayde vnto Satan: Lo, he is in thyne hand, but saue his lyfe.
- So went Satan foorth from the presence of the Lorde, and smote Iob with sore byles, from the sole of his foote vnto his crowne.
- And he toke a potsharde to scrape hym: and he sat downe among the asshes.
- Then sayd his wyfe vnto him: Doest thou continue yet in thy perfectnesse?
curse God, and dye.
- But he sayde vnto her, Thou speakest like a foolish woman: shal we receaue good at the hande of God, and not receaue euyll?
In all these thinges did not Iob sinne with his lippes.
- Nowe when Iobs three friendes heard of all the trouble that came vpon him, they came euery one fro his owne place [namely] Eliphas the Themanite, Bildad the Suhite, and Zophad the Naamathite: for they were agreed together to come to shewe their compassion vpon him, and to comfort hym.
- So when they lift vp their eyes a farre of, they knew him not: then they cryed and wept, and euery one of them rent his clothes, and sprinckled dust vpon their heades in the ayre.
- They sate them downe by him also vpon the grounde seuen dayes & seuen nightes, and none spake a worde vnto him: for they sawe that his greefe was very great.