- And Eliphas the Themanite aunswered, & sayde:
- If we assay to come with thee, wilt thou be discontent?
But who can withhold him selfe from speaking?
- Beholde, thou hast ben an instructer of many, & hast strenghtned the weery handes:
- Thy wordes haue set vp him that was falling, thou hast refreshed the weake knees.
- But nowe it is come vpon thee, and thou art greeued: it toucheth thee, and thou art troubled.
- Was not thy feare according to thy hope?
and the perfectnesse of thy wayes according to thy expectation?
- Consider I pray thee who euer perished beyng an innocent?
or when were the godly destroyed?
- For as I haue proued by experience, they that plow iniquitie & sow wretchednesse, reape the same.
- With the blast of God they perishe, with the breath of his nostrels are they consumed away.
- The roring of the lion, and the voyce of the lion, and the teeth of the lions whelpes are pulled out.
- The lion perisheth for lake of pray, & the lions whelpes are scattered abrode.
- But wheras a thing was hyd from me, yet myne care hath receaued a litle therof.
- In the thoughtes and visions of the night when sleepe commeth on men,
- Feare came vpon me & dread, which made all my bones to shake.
- The winde passed by before my presence, and made the heeres of my fleshe to stande vp.
- He stoode thereon and I knewe not his face, an image there was before myne eyes, and in the stilnesse hearde I a voyce.
- Shall man be more iust then God?
or shall a man be purer then his maker?
- Beholde, he founde not trueth in his seruauntes, and in his angels there was folly:
- Howe much more in them that dwel in houses of clay, and whose foundation is but dust, which shall be consumed as it were with a moth?
- They shalbe smitten from the morning vnto the euening: yea they shall perishe for euer, when no man regardeth them.
- Is not their royaltie gone away with them?
they shall dye truely, and not in wysdome.