- After two dayes was [the feaste] of the Passouer, & of vnleuened bread.
And the hye priestes and the scribes, sought howe they myght take him by craft, and put hym to death.
- But they sayde: not in the feast day, lest any busines arise among the people.
- And when he was at Bethanie, in the house of Simon the leper, euen as he sate at meate, there came a woman hauyng an alabaster boxe of very precious oyntment, [called] Narde pisrike, and she brake the boxe, and powred it on his head.
- And there were some, that had indignation within them selues, and sayde: what neded this waste of oyntment?
- For it myght haue ben solde for more then three hundred pence, and haue ben geuen to the poore.
And they grudged agaynst her.
- And Iesus sayde: let her alone, why trouble ye her?
She hath done a good worke on me.
- For ye haue poore with you alwayes, and whensoeuer ye wyll, ye may do the good: but me haue ye not alwayes.
- She hath done that she coulde: she came aforehande, to annoynt my body to the burying.
- Ueryly I say vnto you, whersoeuer this Gospel shalbe preached, throughout the whole worlde, this also that she hath done, shalbe rehearsed, in remembraunce of her.
- And Iudas Iscariot, one of the twelue, went away vnto ye hye priestes, to betray hym vnto them.
- When they hearde that, they were glad, and promised that they woulde geue hym money.
And he sought howe he myght conueniently betray hym.
- And the first day of vnleuened bread, when they dyd sacrifice the Passouer, his disciples sayde vnto hym: Where wylt thou that we go and prepare, that thou mayest eate the Passouer?
- And he sendeth foorth two of his disciples, and sayth vnto them: Go ye into the citie, & there shall meete you a man bearing a pitcher of water, folowe him.
- And whyther soeuer he goeth in, say ye to the good man of the house, the maister sayth: Where is the ghest chaumber, where I shall eate the Pasouer with my disciples?
- And he wyll shewe you a large vpper chaumber, paued and prepared: there make redy for vs.
- And his disciples went foorth, & came into the citie, & founde as he had sayd vnto them: & they made redy the Passouer.
- And when it was nowe euen tyde, he came with the twelue.
- And as they sate at boord & dyd eate, Iesus sayde: Ueryly I say vnto you, one of you, that eateth with me, shall betray me.
- And they began to be sory, and to say to hym one by one, is it I?
And another sayde, is it I?
- He aunswered and sayde vnto them: It is one of the twelue, euen he that dyppeth with me in the platter.
- The sonne of man truely goeth as it is written of hym: but wo to that man by whom the sonne of man is betrayed.
Good were it for that man, yf he had neuer ben borne.
- And as they dyd eate, Iesus toke bread: and whe he had blessed, he brake [it] and gaue to them, and sayde: Take, eate, this is my body.
- And he toke the cup, and when he had geuen thankes, he toke it to them: and they all dranke of it.
- And he sayde vnto them: This is my blood, of the newe Testament, which is shed for many.
- Ueryly I say vnto you, I wyll drinke no more of the fruite of the vine, vntyll that day, that I drinke it newe in the kyngdome of God.
- And when they had praysed [God,] they went out into ye mount of Oliues.
- And Iesus sayth vnto them: All ye shalbe offended because of me this nyght.
For it is written: I wyll smyte the sheepehearde, and the sheepe shalbe scattered.
- But after that I am risen agayne, I wyll go into Galilee before you.
- Peter sayde vnto hym: And though all men be offended, yet [wyll] not I.
- And Iesus sayth vnto hym: Ueryly I say vnto thee, that this day, euen, in this night, before the cocke crowe twise, thou shalt deny me three tymes.
- But he spake more vehemently: no, yf I shoulde dye with thee, I wyll not deny thee.
Likewise also sayde they all.
- And they came into a place which was named Gethsemani, and he sayth to his disciples: Sit ye heare, whyle I shall pray.
- And he taketh with hym, Peter, and Iames, and Iohn, and began to waxe abasshed, and to be in an agonie.
- And sayth vnto them: My soule is heauie, euen vnto the death, tarry ye here and watche.
- And he went foorth a litle, and fell flat on the grounde, and prayed: that yf it were possible, the houre myght passe from hym.
- And he sayde: Abba father, all thynges are possible vnto thee, take away this cup from me.
Neuerthelesse, not that I wyll: but that thou [wylt, be done.]
- And he came & founde them slepyng, and sayth vnto Peter: Simon, slepest thou?
Couldest not thou watche one houre?
- Watche ye, and pray, lest ye enter into temptation: the spirite truely is redy, but the fleshe is weake.
- And agayne he went asyde, & prayed, and spake the same wordes.
- And he returned, and founde them a slepe agayne.
For their eyes were heauie: neither wist they what to aunswere hym.
- And he came the thirde tyme, & sayde vnto them: slepe hencefoorth, and take your ease, it is inough: The houre is come, beholde, the sonne of man is betrayed into the handes of sinners.
- Ryse vp, let vs go: Lo, he that betrayeth me, is at hande.
- And immediatly whyle he yet spake, commeth Iudas, which was one of the twelue, and with hym a great number of people, with swordes & staues, from the hye priestes, and scribes, and elders.
- And he that betrayed hym, had geuen them a general token, saying: Who soeuer I do kysse, that same is he, take hym, and leade hym away warely.
- And assoone as he was come, he goeth strayghtway to hym, and sayth vnto hym: Maister, Maister, and kissed hym.
- And they layde their handes on hym, and toke hym.
- And one of them that stoode by, drewe out a sworde, & smote a seruaunt of the hye priest, and cut of his eare.
- And Iesus aunswered, and saide vnto them: Ye be come out as vnto a thiefe with swordes and with staues, for to take me.
- I was dayly with you in the temple, teachyng, and ye toke me not, [but these thynges come to passe,] that the Scriptures shoulde be fulfylled.
- And they all forsooke hym, & ranne away.
- And there folowed hym, a certayne young man, clothed in lynnen vpon the bare: and the young men caught hym.
- And he left his lynnen garment, and fled from them naked.
- And they ledde Iesus away to the hyest priest, and with hym came all the hye priestes, and the elders, and the scribes.
- And Peter folowed hym a great way of, euen tyl he was come into the palace of the hye priest, and he sate with the seruauntes, and warmed hym selfe at the fyre.
- And the hye priestes, and all the councell sought for witnesse agaynst Iesus, to put hym to death, and founde none.
- For many bare false witnesse agaynst hym, but their witnesse agreed not together.
- And there arose certayne, and brought false witnesse agaynst hym, saying.
- We hearde hym say: I wyll destroy this temple that is made with handes, and within three dayes I wyll buylde another, made without handes.
- But yet their witnesse agreed not together.
- And the hye priest stoode vp amongest them, and asked Iesus, saying: Aunswerest thou nothyng?
Howe is it that these beare witnesse agaynst thee?
- But he helde his peace, & aunswered nothyng.
Agayne, the hyest priest asked hym, and sayde vnto hym: Art thou Christe, the sonne of the blessed?
- And Iesus sayde, I am: And ye shall see the sonne of man sittyng on the ryght hande of power, and commyng in the cloudes of heauen.
- Then the hye priest rent his clothes, and sayde: What neede we any further witnesses?
- Ye haue hearde blasphemie: what thinke ye?
And they all condemned him to be worthy of death.
- And some began to spyt at hym, and to couer his face, and to beate hym with fistes, and to say vnto hym, prophecie.
And the seruauntes dyd beate hym with roddes.
- And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there came one of the wenches of the hyest priest:
- And when she sawe Peter warmyng hym selfe, she loketh on hym, and sayth: And thou also wast with Iesus of Nazareth.
- And he denyed, saying: I knowe hym not, neither wote I what thou sayest.
And he went out into the porche, and the cocke crewe.
- And a damsell, when she sawe hym agayne, began to say to the that stoode by, this is one of them.
- And he denyed it agayne.
And anone after, they that stoode by, sayde agayne to Peter: Surely, thou art one of the, for thou art of Galilee, and thy speache agreeth therto.
- But he began to curse, and to sweare, [saying]: I knowe not this man of whom ye speake.
- And the seconde tyme the cocke crewe, & Peter remembred the worde that Iesus sayde vnto hym, before the cocke crowe twise, thou shalt deny me three tymes: And he began to weepe.