- And after sixe dayes, Iesus taketh Peter, Iames, and Iohn his brother, and bryngeth them vp into an hye mountayne, out of the way,
- And was transfigured before them, and his face did shyne as the sunne, and his clothes were as whyte as the lyght.
- And beholde, there appeared vnto them, Moyses, and Elias talkyng with hym.
- Then aunswered Peter, and sayde vnto Iesus: Lorde, it is good for vs to be here.
If thou wylt, let vs make here three tabernacles: one for thee, and one for Moyses, and one for Elias.
- Whyle he yet spake, beholde, a bryght cloude shadowed them: And beholde, [there came] a voyce out of the cloude, which sayde, this is my beloued sonne in whom I am well pleased, heare hym.
- And when the disciples hearde [these thynges] they fell on their face, and were sore afrayde.
- And Iesus came, and touched them, and sayde: aryse, and be not afrayde.
- And when they had lyft vp their eyes, they sawe no man, saue Iesus only.
- And when they came downe from the mountayne, Iesus charged them, saying: shewe the vision to no man, vntyll the sonne of man be rysen agayne from the dead.
- And his disciples asked hym, saying: Why then say the scribes, that Elias must first come?
- Iesus aunswered, & sayde vnto them: Elias truely shall first come, and restore all thynges:
- But I say vnto you, that Elias is come alredy, and they knewe hym not, but haue done vnto hym, whatsoeuer they lusted.
- Lykewyse, shall also the sonne of man suffer of them.
Then the disciples vnderstode, that he spake vnto them of Iohn Baptist.
- And when they were come to the people, there came to hym a certayne man, knelyng downe to hym, and saying:
- Lorde, haue mercy on my sonne, for he is lunaticke, and sore vexed: for oft tymes he falleth into the fyre, and oft into the water.
- And I brought hym to thy disciples, and they coulde not heale hym.
- Iesus aunswered and sayde: O faythlesse and croked nation, howe long shall I be with you?
howe long shal I suffer you?
bryng hym hyther to me.
- And Iesus rebuked the deuyll, and he departed out of hym: And the chylde was healed euen that same tyme.
- Then came the disciples to Iesus secretely, and sayde: why coulde not we cast hym out?
- Iesus sayde vnto them: because of your vnbeliefe.
For veryly I say vnto you: If ye haue fayth as a grayne of mustarde seede, ye shall say vnto this mountayne: remoue hence to yonder place, and it shall remoue, neither shall any thyng be vnpossible vnto you.
- Howebeit, this kynde goeth not out, but by prayer and fastyng.
- Whyle they were occupyed in Galilee, Iesus sayde vnto them: it wyll come to passe, that the sonne of man shalbe betrayed into the handes of men:
- And they shall kyll hym, & the thyrde day shall he ryse agayne: And they were exceadyng sory.
- And when they were come to Capernaum, they that receaued tribute money, came to Peter, and sayde: Doth not your maister pay tribute?
- He sayth: yes.
And when he was come into the house, Iesus preuented hym, saying: What thynkest thou Simon?
of whom do the kynges of the earth take tribute or toule?
of the chyldren, or of straungers?
- Peter sayth vnto hym: of straungers.
Iesus sayth vnto hym: Then are the chyldren free.
- Notwithstandyng, lest we shoulde offende them, go thou to the sea, and cast an angle, and take the fisshe that first commeth vp: and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt fynde a peece of twenty pence: that take, and geue it vnto them for me, and thee.