- And it came to passe, when Iesus had finished all these sayinges, he sayde vnto his disciples:
- Ye knowe, yt after two dayes is ye feast of Passouer, and the sonne of man is betrayed, to be crucified.
- Then assembled together the chiefe priestes, and the scribes, and the elders of the people, vnto the palace of the hye prieste, which was called Caiaphas:
- And helde a councell, that they might take Iesus by subtiltie, and kyll hym.
- But they sayde: Not on the feast [day] lest there be an vprore among ye people.
- When Iesus was in Bethanie, in the house of Simon the leper,
- There came vnto him a woman, hauing an Alabaster boxe of precious oyntment, and powred it on his head, as he sate [at the boorde.]
- But when his disciples sawe it, they had indignation, saying: to what purpose [is] this waste?
- This oyntment might haue ben well solde, and geuen to the poore.
- When Iesus vnderstode that, he saide vnto them: Why trouble ye the woma?
for she hath wrought a good worke vppon me.
- For ye haue the poore alwayes with you: but me shall ye not haue alwayes.
- For in that she hath cast this oyntment on my body, she dyd it to bury me.
- Ueryly I say vnto you, wheresoeuer this Gospell shalbe preached in the world, there shall also this that she hath done, be tolde for a memoriall of her.
- Then one of the twelue, called Iudas Iscariot, wet vnto ye chiefe priestes,
- And sayde [vnto them:] What wyll ye geue me, and I wyll delyuer hym vnto you?
And they appoynted vnto hym thirtie peeces of syluer.
- And from that tyme foorth, he sought oportunitie to betray hym.
- The first day of sweete bread, the disciples came to Iesus, saying vnto him: Where wylt thou that we prepare for thee, to eate the Passouer?
- And he saide: Go into the citie, to such a man, and say vnto hym, the maister sayth, my tyme is at hand, I wyll kepe the Passouer at thy house, with my disciples.
- And the disciples dyd as Iesus had appoynted them: and they made redye the Passouer.
- When the euen was come, he sate downe with the twelue.
- And as they dyd eate, he sayde: Ueryly I say vnto you, that one of you shall betray me.
- And they were exceadyng sorowfull, and began euery one of them to say vn hym, Lorde is it I?
- He aunswered, and saide: He that dippeth his hand with me in the disshe, the same shall betray me.
- The sonne of man truely goeth, as it is writte of him: but wo vnto that man by whom the sonne of man is betrayed: It had ben good for that man, yf he had not ben borne.
- Then Iudas, which betrayed [hym] aunswered and sayde: Maister, is it I?
He sayde vnto hym, thou hast sayde.
- When they were eatyng, Iesus toke bread, and when he had geuen thankes, he brake [it,] and gaue [it] to the disciples, and saide: Take, eate, this is my body.
- And he toke the cuppe, and after he had geuen thankes, gaue it them, saying: Drinke ye all of this,
- For this is my blood, whiche [is] of the newe testament, that is shedde for many, for the remission of sinnes.
- But I say vnto you, I wyll not drinke henceforth of this fruite of the vine tree, vntyll that day when I shall drynke it newe with you, in my fathers kyngdome.
- And when they hadde praysed [God] they wet out vnto the mount of Oliues.
- Then sayth Iesus vnto them: All ye shalbe offeded because of me this night.
For it is written: I wyll smyte the shephearde, and the sheepe of the flocke shalbe scattered abrode.
- But after I am rysen againe, I wyll go before you into Galilee.
- Peter aunswered, and said vnto him: though all men be offended, because of thee, yet wyll I neuer be offended.
- Iesus sayde vnto hym: Ueryly I say vnto thee, that in this same nyght, before the Cocke crowe, thou shalt denie me thryse.
- Peter sayde vnto hym: Though I shoulde dye with thee, yet wyll I not denie thee.
Lykewyse also sayde all the disciples.
- Then came Iesus with them vnto a place, which is called Gethsemane, and sayde vnto the disciples: Sit ye here, whyle I go and pray yonder.
- And he toke with him Peter, and the two sonnes of Zebedee, and began to waxe sorowfull and heauy.
- Then sayde Iesus vnto them: My soule is heauy, euen vnto the death, tary ye here, and watche with me.
- And he went a litle farther, and fell flat on his face, and prayed, saying: O my father, if it be possible, let this cuppe passe from me: Neuerthelesse, not as I wyll, but as thou wylt.
- And he came vnto the disciples, and founde them a slepe, and sayth vnto Peter: What, coulde ye not watche with me one houre?
- Watche, and praye, that ye enter not into temptation: The spirite in deede is wyllyng, but the fleshe is weake.
- He went away once againe, & prayed, saying: O my father, if this cuppe may not passe away fro me, except I drinke it, thy wyll be fulfylled.
- And he came, and founde them a slepe agayne: for, their eyes were heauy.
- And he left them, and went agayne, and prayed the thirde tyme, saying the same wordes.
- Then commeth he to his disciples, and sayth vnto them: Slepe hencefoorth, & take your rest, beholde, the houre is at hande, and the sonne of man is betrayed into the handes of synners.
- Ryse, let vs be goyng: beholde, he is at hande that doth betray me.
- Whyle he yet spake, loe Iudas, one of the twelue, came, and with hym a great multitude, with swordes & staues, from the chiefe priestes and elders of the people.
- But he that betrayed him, gaue them a token, saying: Whomsoeuer I kysse, that same is he, holde hym fast.
- And foorthwith, he came to Iesus, and sayde, hayle maister: and kyssed hym.
- And Iesus sayde vnto hym: Frende, wherefore art thou come?
Then came they, and layed handes on Iesus, and toke hym.
- And beholde, one of them which were with Iesus, stretched out his hande, and drewe his sworde, and stroke a seruaunt of the hye priestes, and smote of his eare.
- Then saide Iesus vnto hym: Put vp thy sworde into his sheathe.
For all they that take the sworde, shall peryshe with the sworde.
- Thynkest thou that I can not nowe pray to my father, and he shall geue me more then twelue legions of Angels?
- But howe then shall the scriptures be fulfylled?
For thus must it be.
- In that same houre, sayde Iesus to the multitudes: Ye be come out, as it were vnto a thiefe, with swordes and staues, for to take me.
I sate dayly with you, teachyng in the temple, and ye toke me not.
- But all this is done, that the scriptures of the prophetes myght be fulfylled.
Then all the disciples forsoke him, and fledde.
- And they toke Iesus, and ledde hym to Caiaphas the hye prieste, where the scribes and the elders were assembled.
- But Peter folowed hym a farre of, vnto the hye priestes palace, and went in, and sate with the seruauntes to see the ende.
- The chiefe priestes, and elders, and all the councell, sought false witnesse agaynst Iesus, for to put hym to death,
- But founde none: yea, when many false witnesses came, yet founde they none.
At the last, came two false witnesses,
- And sayde: This [felowe] sayde: I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to buylde it agayne in three dayes.
- And the chiefe priest arose, and sayde vnto hym: Aunswerest thou nothyng?
Why do these beare witnesse agaynst thee?
- But Iesus helde his peace.
And the chiefe priest aunswered, and sayde vnto hym: I charge thee by the liuing God, that thou tel vs, whether thou be Christ the sonne of God?
- Iesus saith vnto him: thou hast said.
Neuerthelesse, I saye vnto you, hereafter shall ye see the sonne of man sitting on the ryght hande of power, and commyng in the cloudes of the skye.
- Then the hye priest rent his clothes, saying: He hath spoken blasphemie, what nede we of any mo witnesses?
Beholde, now ye haue hearde his blasphemie,
- What thynke ye?
They aunswered and sayde: he is worthy to dye.
- Then dyd they spyt in his face, and buffeted hym with fistes.
And other smote hym on his face with the paulme of their handes,
- Saying: prophecie vnto vs, O Christ, who is he that smote thee?
- Peter sate without in the palace: And a damsell came to hym, saying, Thou also wast with Iesus of Galilee.
- But he denied before them all, saying: I wote not what thou sayest.
- When he was gone out into the porch, another wenche sawe hym, and sayde vnto them that were there: This felowe was also with Iesus of Nazareth.
- And agayne he denyed with an oth: I do not knowe the man.
- And after a whyle, came vnto hym they that stode by, and sayde vnto Peter: Surely thou art euen one of them, for thy speache bewrayeth thee.
- Then began he to curse, & to sweare, that he knewe not the man.
And immediatly the Cocke crewe.
- And Peter remembred the worde of Iesu, which sayde vnto hym, before the Cocke crowe, thou shalt denie me thrise: and he went out, and wept bytterly.