- When he saw the multitude, he went vp into a mountayne: & when he was set, his disciples came to hym.
- And he opened his mouth, & taught them, saying.
- Blessed (are) the poore in spirite: for theirs is the kyngdome of heauen.
- Blessed (are) they that mourne: for they shalbe comforted.
- Blessed (are) the meke: for they shall inherite the earth.
- Blessed (are) they, which do hunger and thirste (after) righteousnes: for they shalbe satisfied.
- Blessed (are) the mercyfull: for they shall obteyne mercy.
- Blessed (are) the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
- Blessed (are) the peace makers: for they shalbe called the chyldren of God.
- Blessed (are) they which suffer persecution for righteousnes sake: for theirs is the kyngdome of heauen.
- Blessed are ye, whe (men) reuyle you, and persecute (you) and, lying, shall say all maner of euyll saying agaynst you, for my sake.
- Reioyce, and be glad: for great is your rewarde in heauen.
For so persecuted they the prophetes, whiche were before you.
- Ye are the salt of the earth.
But yf the salt become vnsauery, where in shall it be salted?
It is thencefoorth good for nothing, but to be caste out, and to be troden vnder foote of men.
- Ye are the lyght of the worlde.
A citie that is set on an hyll, can not be hyd.
- Neyther do men lyght a candell, and put it vnder a busshell: but on a candelsticke, and it geueth lyght vnto all that are in the house.
- Let your lyght so shyne before men, that they may see your good workes, and glorifie your father, whiche is in heauen.
- Thynke not that I am come to destroy the lawe, or the prophetes.
I am not come to destroy, but to fulfyll.
- For truely I say vnto you, tyll heauen and earth passe, one iotte, or one title of the lawe shall not scape, tyll all be fulfylled.
- Whosoeuer therfore breaketh one of these least commaundementes, and teacheth men so, he shalbe called the leaste in the kyngdome of heauen.
But who so euer doeth, and teacheth (so) the same shalbe called great in the kyngdome of heauen.
- For I say vnto you: except your righteousnes, excede the righteousnes of the Scribes and Pharisees, ye shall not enter into the kyngdome of heauen.
- Ye haue hearde, that it was sayde to them of the olde tyme, thou shalt not kyll: who so euer kylleth, shalbe in daunger of iudgement.
- But I say vnto you, that who so euer is angry with his brother, vnaduisedly, shalbe in daunger of iudgement.
And who so euer shall say vnto his brother, racha, shalbe in daunger of a councell: But, whosoeuer shall saye (thou) foole, shalbe in daunger of hell fire.
- Therfore, if thou bring thy gyft to the aulter, and there remembrest, that thy brother hath ought agaynst thee:
- Leaue there thy gyft, before the aulter, and go thy way, first and be reconciled to thy brother: and then, come and offer thy gyft.
- Agree with thyne aduersarie quicklye, whyles thou art in the waye with him: lest at any tyme the aduersarie deliuer thee to the iudge, and the iudge deliuer thee to the minister, and then thou be cast into pryson.
- Ueryly I say vnto thee, thou shalt not come out thence, tyll thou hast payde the vtmost farthyng.
- Ye haue hearde, that it was sayde vnto them of olde tyme: Thou shalt not commit adultry.
- But I say vnto you, that whosoeuer loketh on a woman, to luste after her, hath committed adultry with her alredy, in his heart.
- If thy ryght eye offende thee, plucke it out, and cast it from thee.
For better it is vnto thee, that one of thy members perishe, the that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
- And yf thy ryght hande offende thee, cut it of, and cast it from thee.
For better it is vnto thee, that one of thy members perishe, then that all thy body shoulde be cast into hell.
- It is saide: whosoeuer putteth away his wyfe, let hym geue her a wrytyng of diuorcement.
- But I say vnto you, that whosoeuer doeth put awaye his wyfe, except it be for fornication, causeth her to commit adultry.
And whosoeuer maryeth her that is diuorced, committeth adultry.
- Agayne, ye haue hearde that it was sayde vnto them of olde tyme: Thou shalt not forsweare thy selfe, but shalt perfourme vnto the Lorde thine othes.
- But, I say vnto you: Sweare not at all, neither by heauen, for it is gods seate,
- Nor by the earth, for it is his footestoole, neither by Hierusalem, for it is the citie of the great kyng.
- Neither shalt thou sweare by thy head, because thou canst not make one heere whyte or blacke.
- But let your communication be yea, yea, nay nay.
For whatsoeuer is more then these, commeth of euyll.
- Ye haue hearde, that it is sayde, an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.
- But, I say vnto you, that ye resist not euyll.
But, whosoeuer geueth thee a blowe on thy right cheeke, turne to him the other also.
- And yf any man wyll sue thee at the lawe, and take away thy coate, let him haue thy cloke also.
- And whosoeuer wyll compell thee to go a myle, go with hym twayne.
- Geue to hym that asketh thee: & from hym that woulde borowe of thee, turne not thou away.
- Ye haue heard, that it is saide: Thou shalt loue thy neyghbour, & hate thyne enemie.
- But I saye vnto you, loue your enemies, blesse them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, pray for the which hurt you, and persecute you:
- That ye may be the chyldren of your father, which is in heauen.
For he maketh his sonne to aryse on the euyll, and on the good, and sendeth rayne on the iust, and on the vniust.
- For yf ye loue them which loue you, what rewarde haue ye?
Do not the publicans also euen the same?
- And yf ye salute or greete your brethre only, what singuler thyng do ye?
Do not also the publicans lykewyse?
- Ye shall therfore be perfecte, euen as your father, which is in heauen, is perfecte.