- Brethren, my heartes desire & prayer to God for Israel, is, that they myght be saued.
- For I beare them recorde, that they haue a zeale of God: but not accordyng to knowledge.
- For they beyng ignoraunt of Gods ryghteousnesse, and goyng about to stablyshe their owne righteousnesse, haue not ben obedient vnto the ryghteousness of God.
- For Christe is the ende of the lawe, for ryghteousnesse to all that beleue.
- For Moyses writeth, of the ryghteousnesse which [is] of the lawe, howe that the man which doth those thinges, shall lyue by them.
- But the ryghteousnesse which is of fayth, speaketh on this wise: Say not thou in thyne heart, who shall ascende into heauen?
That is, to fetch Christe downe from aboue.
- Either who shall descende into the deepe?
That is, to fetch vp Christe agayne from the dead.
- But what sayth he?
The worde is nye thee, euen in thy mouth, and in thy heart.
This same is the worde of faith, which we preache
- For if thou shalt knowledge with thy mouth, the Lorde Iesus, and shalt beleue in thyne heart that God raysed hym from the dead, thou shalt be saued.
- For with the heart man beleueth vnto ryghteousnesse, and with ye mouth man confesseth to saluation.
- For the scripture sayth: Whosoeuer beleueth on him, shall not be cofounded.
- There is no difference betwene the Iewe & the Greke: for the same Lorde ouer al, is riche vnto al yt call vpon him.
- For whosoeuer shall call on the name of the Lorde, shalbe saued.
- Howe then shall they call on hym, on whom they haue not beleued?
Howe shall they beleue on hym of whom they haue not hearde?
Howe shal they heare, without a preacher?
- And howe shall they preache, except they be sent?
As it is written: Howe beautifull are the feete of them whiche bryng good tydynges of peace, & bryng good tydynges of good thynges.
- But they haue not all obeyed ye Gospel.
For Esaias sayth: Lorde, who hath beleued our sayinges?
- So then fayth commeth by hearyng, and hearyng commeth by the worde of God.
- But I aske: Haue they not hearde?
No doubt, their sounde went out into all landes, and their wordes into the endes of the worlde.
- But I demaunde whether Israel did knowe or not?
First Moyses sayth: I wyll prouoke you to enuie, by them that are no people: and by a foolyshe nation I wyll anger you.
- And Esaias is bolde, and sayeth: I am founde of them that sought me not: I am manifest vnto them that asked not after me.
- But agaynst Israel he sayeth: All day long haue I stretched foorth my handes vnto a people that beleueth not, but speaketh agaynst me.