- My children, these things I write to you in order that ye may not sin;
and if any one sin, we have a patron with the Father, Jesus Christ [the] righteous;
- and *he* is the propitiation for our sins;
but not for ours alone, but also for the whole world.
- And hereby we know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
- He that says, I know him, and does not keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;
- but whoever keeps his word, in him verily the love of God is perfected.
Hereby we know that we are in him.
- He that says he abides in him ought, even as *he* walked, himself also [so] to walk.
- Beloved, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment, which ye have had from the beginning.
The old commandment is the word which ye heard.
- Again, I write a new commandment to you, which thing is true in him and in you, because the darkness is passing and the true light already shines.
- He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in the darkness until now.
- He that loves his brother abides in light, and there is no occasion of stumbling in him.
- But he that hates his brother is in the darkness, and walks in the darkness, and knows not where he goes, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
- I write to you, children, because [your] sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.
- I write to you, fathers, because ye have known him [that is] from the beginning.
I write to you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked [one].
I write to you, little children, because ye have known the Father.
- I have written to you, fathers, because ye have known him [that is] from the beginning.
I have written to you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and ye have overcome the wicked [one].
- Love not the world, nor the things in the world.
If any one love the world, the love of the Father is not in him;
- because all that [is] in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
- And the world is passing, and its lust, but he that does the will of God abides for eternity.
- Little children, it is [the] last hour, and, according as ye have heard that antichrist comes, even now there have come many antichrists, whence we know that it is [the] last hour.
- They went out from among us, but they were not of us;
for if they had been of us, they would have surely remained with us, but that they might be made manifest that none are of us.
- And *ye* have [the] unction from the holy [one], and ye know all things.
- I have not written to you because ye do not know the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.
- Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ?
*He* is the antichrist who denies the Father and the Son.
- Whoever denies the Son has not the Father either;
he who confesses the Son has the Father also.
- As for *you* let that which ye have heard from the beginning abide in you: if what ye have heard from the beginning abides in you, *ye* also shall abide in the Son and in the Father.
- And this is the promise which *he* has promised us, life eternal.
- These things have I written to you concerning those who lead you astray:
- and *yourselves*, the unction which ye have received from him abides in you, and ye have not need that any one should teach you;
but as the same unction teaches you as to all things, and is true and is not a lie, and even as it has taught you, ye shall abide in him.
- And now, children, abide in him, that if he be manifested we may have boldness, and not be put to shame from before him at his coming.
- If ye know that he is righteous, know that every one who practises righteousness is begotten of him.