- And the Philistines fought against Israel;
and the men of Israel fled from before the Philistines, and fell down slain on mount Gilboa.
- And the Philistines followed hard upon Saul and upon his sons;
and the Philistines smote Jonathan, and Abinadab, and Malchishua, Saul's sons.
- And the battle went sore against Saul, and the archers came up with him;
and he was much terrified by the archers.
- Then said Saul to his armour-bearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through with it;
lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and abuse me.
But his armour-bearer would not;
for he was much afraid.
So Saul took the sword and fell on it.
- And when his armour-bearer saw that Saul was dead, he fell likewise on his sword, and died with him.
- So Saul died, and his three sons, and his armour-bearer, and all his men, that same day together.
- And when the men of Israel that were on this side of the valley, and [they] that were on this side of the Jordan, saw that the men of Israel fled, and that Saul and his sons were dead, they forsook the cities and fled;
and the Philistines came and dwelt in them.
- And it came to pass the next day, that the Philistines came to strip the slain, and they found Saul and his three sons fallen on mount Gilboa.
- And they cut off his head, and stripped off his armour, and sent [them] into the land of the Philistines round about, to announce the glad tidings in the houses of their idols, and to the people.
- And they put his armour in the house of Ashtaroth;
and they fastened his body to the wall of Beth-shan.
- And when the inhabitants of Jabesh-Gilead heard of what the Philistines had done to Saul,
- all the valiant men arose and went all night, and took the body of Saul and the bodies of his sons from the wall of Beth-shan, and came to Jabesh, and burned them there.
- And they took their bones, and buried them under the tamarisk at Jabesh, and fasted seven days.