- Hear this word, a lamentation, which I take up against you, O house of Israel.
- The virgin of Israel is fallen;
she shall no more arise: she is cast down upon her land;
there is none to raise her up.
- For thus saith the Lord Jehovah: The city that went forth a thousand shall have a hundred left, and that which went forth a hundred shall have ten left, for the house of Israel.
- For thus saith Jehovah unto the house of Israel: Seek ye me, and ye shall live.
- And seek not Bethel, neither go to Gilgal, and pass not to Beer-sheba;
for Gilgal shall surely go into captivity, and Bethel shall come to nought.
- Seek Jehovah, and ye shall live;
lest he break out like fire in the house of Joseph, and devour [it], and there be none to quench [it] in Bethel.
- Ye who turn judgment to wormwood, and cast down righteousness to the earth,
- [seek him] that made the Pleiades and Orion, and turneth the shadow of death into the morning, and maketh the day dark with night;
that calleth for the waters of the sea, and poureth them out upon the face of the earth: Jehovah is his name.
- He causeth destruction to break forth suddenly upon the strong, and bringeth destruction upon the fortress.
- They hate him that reproveth in the gate, and they abhor him that speaketh uprightly.
- Forasmuch, therefore, as ye trample upon the poor, and take from him presents of wheat: ye have built houses of hewn stone, but ye shall not dwell in them;
ye have planted pleasant vineyards, and ye shall not drink the wine of them.
- For I know how manifold are your transgressions and your sins mighty: they afflict the just, they take a bribe, and they turn aside [the right of] the needy in the gate.
- Therefore the prudent shall keep silence in this time;
for it is an evil time.
- Seek good, and not evil, that ye may live;
and so Jehovah, the God of hosts, shall be with you, as ye say.
- Hate evil, and love good, and establish judgment in the gate: it may be that Jehovah, the God of hosts, will be gracious unto the remnant of Joseph.
- Therefore thus saith Jehovah, the God of hosts, the Lord: Wailing shall be in all broadways;
and they shall say in all the streets, Alas!
And they shall call the husbandman to mourning, and such as are skilful of lamentation to wailing.
- And in all vineyards shall be wailing;
for I will pass through the midst of thee, saith Jehovah.
- Woe unto you that desire the day of Jehovah!
To what end is the day of Jehovah for you?
It shall be darkness and not light:
- as if a man fled from a lion, and a bear met him;
or went into the house and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him.
- Shall not the day of Jehovah be darkness, and not light?
even very dark, and no brightness in it?
- I hate, I despise your feasts, and I will not smell [a sweet odour] in your solemn assemblies.
- For if ye offer up unto me burnt-offerings and your oblations, I will not accept [them];
neither will I regard the peace-offerings of your fatted beasts.
- Take away from me the noise of thy songs, and I will not hear the melody of thy lutes;
- but let judgment roll down as waters, and righteousness as an ever-flowing stream.
- Did ye bring unto me sacrifices and oblations in the wilderness forty years, O house of Israel?
- Yea, ye took up the tabernacle of your Moloch, and Chiun your images, the star of your god, which ye had made to yourselves;
- and I will cause you to go into captivity beyond Damascus, saith Jehovah, whose name is the God of hosts.