- In the first year of Belshazzar king of Babylon, Daniel saw a dream and visions of his head upon his bed: then he wrote the dream;
he told the sum of the matters.
- Daniel spoke and said, I saw in my vision by night, and behold, the four winds of the heavens broke forth upon the great sea.
- And four great beasts came up from the sea, different one from another.
- The first was like a lion, and had eagle's wings: I beheld till its wings were plucked;
and it was lifted up from the earth, and made to stand upon two feet as a man, and a man's heart was given to it.
- And behold, another beast, a second, like unto a bear, and it raised up itself on one side;
and [it had] three ribs in its mouth between its teeth;
and they said thus unto it: Arise, devour much flesh.
- After this I saw, and behold, another, like a leopard, and it had four wings of a bird upon its back;
and the beast had four heads;
and dominion was given to it.
- After this I saw in the night visions, and behold, a fourth beast, dreadful and terrible, and exceeding strong;
and it had great iron teeth: it devoured and broke in pieces, and stamped the rest with its feet;
and it was different from all the beasts that were before it;
and it had ten horns.
- I considered the horns, and behold, there came up among them another, a little horn, before which three of the first horns were plucked up by the roots;
and behold, in this horn were eyes like the eyes of a man, and a mouth speaking great things.
- I beheld till thrones were set, and the Ancient of days did sit: his raiment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like pure wool;
his throne was flames of fire, [and] its wheels burning fire.
- A stream of fire issued and came forth from before him;
thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.
- I beheld therefore, because of the voice of the great words that the horn spoke;
I beheld till the beast was slain, and its body destroyed, and it was given up to be burned with fire.
- As for the rest of the beasts, their dominion was taken away;
but their lives were prolonged for a season and a time.
- I saw in the night visions, and behold, there came with the clouds of heaven [one] like a son of man, and he came up even to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.
- And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom [that] which shall not be destroyed.
- As for me Daniel, my spirit was grieved in the midst of my body, and the visions of my head troubled me.
- I came near unto one of them that stood by, and asked him the certainty of all this.
And he told me, and made me know the interpretation of the things:
- These great beasts, which are four, are four kings, [that] shall arise out of the earth.
- But the saints of the most high [places] shall receive the kingdom, and they shall possess the kingdom for ever, even to the ages of ages.
- Then I desired to know the certainty concerning the fourth beast, which was different from them all, exceeding dreadful, whose teeth were of iron, and its nails of brass;
which devoured, broke in pieces, and stamped the rest with its feet;
- and concerning the ten horns that were in its head, and the other that came up, and before which three fell: even that horn that had eyes, and a mouth speaking great things, and whose look was more imposing than its fellows.
- I beheld, and that horn made war with the saints, and prevailed over them;
- until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most high [places];
and the appointed time arrived, and the saints possessed the kingdom.
- He said thus: The fourth beast shall be a fourth kingdom upon the earth, which shall be different from all the kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces.
- And as to the ten horns, out of this kingdom shall arise ten kings;
and another shall arise after them;
and he shall be different from the former, and he shall subdue three kings.
- And he shall speak words against the Most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most high [places], and think to change seasons and the law;
and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and a half time.
- And the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end.
- But the kingdom and the dominion, and the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heavens, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most high [places].
His kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him.
- So far is the end of the matter.
As for me Daniel, my thoughts much troubled me, and my countenance was changed in me;
but I kept the matter in my heart.