- In the third year of the reign of Belshazzar the king, a vision appeared unto me, [even] to me Daniel, after that which appeared unto me at the first.
- And I saw in the vision;
and it came to pass, when I saw, that I was in the fortress of Shushan, which is in the province of Elam.
And I saw in the vision, and I was by the river Ulai.
- And I lifted up mine eyes and saw, and behold, there stood before the river a ram which had two horns;
and the two horns were high;
and one was higher than the other, and the higher came up last.
- I saw the ram pushing westward, and northward, and southward, and no beast could stand before him, neither was there any that could deliver out of his hand;
and he did according to his will, and became great.
- And as I was considering, behold, a he-goat came from the west over the face of the whole earth, and touched not the ground: and the goat had a notable horn between his eyes.
- And he came to the ram that had the two horns, which I had seen standing before the river, and ran upon him in the fury of his power.
- And I saw him come close to the ram, and he was enraged with him, and smote the ram, and broke his two horns;
and there was no power in the ram to stand before him;
and he cast him down to the ground, and trampled upon him;
and there was none that could deliver the ram out of his hand.
- And the he-goat became exceeding great;
but when he was become strong, the great horn was broken;
and in its stead came up four notable ones toward the four winds of the heavens.
- And out of one of them came forth a little horn, which became exceeding great, toward the south, and toward the east, and toward the beauty [of the earth].
- And it became great, even to the host of heaven;
and it cast down [some] of the host and of the stars to the ground, and trampled upon them.
- (And he magnified [himself] even to the prince of the host, and from him the continual [sacrifice] was taken away, and the place of his sanctuary was cast down.
- And a time of trial was appointed unto the continual [sacrifice] by reason of transgression.) And it cast down the truth to the ground;
and it practised and prospered.
- And I heard one saint speaking, and another saint said unto that one who spoke, How long shall be the vision of the continual [sacrifice] and of the transgression that maketh desolate, to give both the sanctuary and the host to be trodden down under foot?
- And he said unto me, Until two thousand and three hundred evenings [and] mornings: then shall the sanctuary be vindicated.
- And it came to pass, when I Daniel had seen the vision, I sought for the understanding of it, and behold, there stood before me as the appearance of a man.
- And I heard a man's voice between [the banks of] the Ulai;
and he called and said, Gabriel, make this [man] to understand the vision.
- And he came near where I stood;
and when he came, I was afraid, and fell on my face;
and he said unto me, Understand, son of man;
for the vision is for the time of the end.
- Now, as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep stupor, with my face toward the ground.
And he touched me, and set me up where I had stood.
- And he said, Behold, I will make thee know what shall be at the end of the indignation: for at the set time the end shall be.
- The ram that thou sawest having the two horns: they are the kings of Media and Persia.
- And the rough goat is the king of Greece;
and the great horn that was between his eyes is the first king.
- Now that being broken, whereas four stood up in its stead, four kingdoms shall stand up out of the nation, but not with his power.
- And at the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors shall have come to the full, a king of bold countenance, and understanding riddles, shall stand up.
- And his power shall be mighty, but not by his own power;
and he shall destroy marvellously, and shall prosper, and shall practise, and shall destroy the mighty ones, and the people of the saints.
- And through his cunning shall he cause craft to prosper in his hand;
and he will magnify [himself] in his heart, and by prosperity will corrupt many;
and he will stand up against the Prince of princes: but he shall be broken without hand.
- And the vision of the evening and the morning which hath been told is true;
but close thou up the vision, for it is for many days [to come].
- And I Daniel fainted, and was sick [certain] days: then I rose up, and did the king's business.
And I was astonished at the vision, but none understood [it].