- Dead flies cause the ointment of the apothecary to stink [and] ferment;
[so] a little folly is weightier than wisdom [and] honour.
- The heart of a wise [man] is at his right hand;
but a fool's heart at his left.
- Yea also, when he that is a fool walketh by the way, his sense faileth [him], and he saith to every one [that] he is a fool.
- If the spirit of the ruler rise up against thee, leave not thy place;
for quietness pacifieth great offences.
- There is an evil that I have seen under the sun, as an error [that] proceedeth from the ruler:
- folly is set in great dignities, but the rich sit in a low place.
- I have seen servants upon horses, and princes walking as servants upon the earth.
- He that diggeth a pit falleth into it;
and whoso breaketh down a hedge, a serpent biteth him.
- Whoso removeth stones is hurt therewith;
he that cleaveth wood is endangered thereby.
- If the iron be blunt, and one do not whet the edge, then must he apply more strength;
but wisdom is profitable to give success.
- If the serpent bite before enchantment, then the charmer hath no advantage.
- The words of a wise man's mouth are gracious;
but the lips of a fool swallow up himself.
- The beginning of the words of his mouth is folly;
and the end of his talk is mischievous madness.
- And the fool multiplieth words: [yet] man knoweth not what shall be;
and what shall be after him, who will tell him?
- The labour of fools wearieth them, because they know not how to go to the city.
- Woe to thee, O land, when thy king is a child, and thy princes eat in the morning!
- Happy art thou, O land, when thy king is a son of nobles, and thy princes eat in [due] season, for strength, and not for drunkenness!
- By much sloth fulness the framework falleth in;
and through idleness of the hands the house drippeth.
- A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh life merry;
but money answereth everything.
- Curse not the king, no, not in thy thought;
and curse not the rich in thy bedchamber: for the bird of the air will carry the voice, and that which hath wings will tell the matter.