- And Jehovah said to Moses, See, I have made thee God to Pharaoh;
and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.
- Thou shalt speak all that I command thee;
and Aaron thy brother shall speak unto Pharaoh, that he let the children of Israel go out of his land.
- And I will render Pharaoh's heart obdurate, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt.
- And Pharaoh will not hearken unto you;
and I will lay my hand upon Egypt, and bring forth my hosts, my people, the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments.
- And the Egyptians shall know that I am Jehovah, when I stretch forth my hand on Egypt, and bring out the children of Israel from among them.
- And Moses and Aaron did as Jehovah had commanded them: so did they.
- And Moses was eighty years old, and Aaron was eighty-three years old, when they spoke to Pharaoh.
- And Jehovah spoke to Moses and to Aaron, saying,
- When Pharaoh shall speak to you, saying, Do a miracle for yourselves, — then thou shalt say unto Aaron, Take thy staff and cast [it] before Pharaoh — it will become a serpent.
- And Moses and Aaron went in to Pharaoh, and did so, as Jehovah had commanded;
and Aaron cast down his staff before Pharaoh, and before his bondmen, and it became a serpent.
- And Pharaoh also called the sages and the sorcerers;
and they too, the scribes of Egypt, did so with their enchantments:
- they cast down every man his staff, and they became serpents;
but Aaron's staff swallowed up their staves.
- And Pharaoh's heart was stubborn, and he hearkened not to them, as Jehovah had said.
- And Jehovah said to Moses, Pharaoh's heart is hardened: he refuseth to let the people go.
- Go unto Pharaoh in the morning — behold, he will go out unto the water — and take thy stand by the bank of the river in front of him;
and take in thy hand the staff that was turned into a serpent.
- And say unto him, Jehovah the God of the Hebrews has sent me to thee, saying, Let my people go, that they may serve me in the wilderness;
but behold, hitherto thou hast not hearkened.
- Thus saith Jehovah: In this shalt thou know that I am Jehovah — behold, I will smite with the staff that is in my hand upon the water which is in the river, and it shall be turned into blood.
- And the fish that is in the river shall die;
and the river shall stink;
and the Egyptians shall loathe to drink the water out of the river.
- And Jehovah said to Moses, Say unto Aaron, Take thy staff, and stretch out thy hand upon the waters of the Egyptians — upon their streams, upon their rivers, and upon their ponds, and upon all their reservoirs of water, that they may become blood;
and there shall be blood throughout the land of Egypt, both in [vessels of] wood and in [vessels of] stone.
- And Moses and Aaron did so, as Jehovah had commanded;
and he lifted up the staff, and smote the waters that were in the river before the eyes of Pharaoh, and before the eyes of his bondmen;
and all the waters that were in the river were turned into blood.
- And the fish that was in the river died;
and the river stank, and the Egyptians could not drink the water of the river;
and the blood was throughout the land of Egypt.
- And the scribes of Egypt did so with their sorceries;
and Pharaoh's heart was stubborn, neither did he hearken to them, as Jehovah had said.
- And Pharaoh turned and went into his house, and took not this to heart either.
- And all the Egyptians dug round about the river for water to drink;
for they could not drink of the water of the river.
- And seven days were fulfilled, after Jehovah had smitten the river.