- And the word of Jehovah came unto me, saying,
- Son of man, there were two women, daughters of one mother.
- And they committed whoredom in Egypt;
they committed whoredom in their youth: there were their breasts pressed, and there were handled the teats of their virginity.
- And their names were Oholah the elder, and Oholibah her sister;
and they were mine, and they bore sons and daughters.
As for their names: Samaria is Oholah, and Jerusalem Oholibah.
- And Oholah played the harlot when she was mine;
and she lusted after her lovers, after the Assyrians [her] neighbours,
- clothed with blue, governors and rulers, all of them attractive young men, horsemen riding upon horses.
- And she bestowed her whoredoms upon them, all of them the choice of the children of Asshur;
and with all after whom she lusted, with all their idols she defiled herself.
- Neither left she her whoredoms [brought] from Egypt;
for in her youth they had lain with her, and had handled the breasts of her virginity, and poured their fornication upon her.
- Therefore I gave her into the hand of her lovers, into the hand of the children of Asshur, after whom she lusted.
- These discovered her nakedness, they took her sons and her daughters, and slew her with the sword;
and she became a name among women;
and they executed judgment upon her.
- And her sister Oholibah saw [this], and was more corrupt in her passion than she, and in her fornications more than the whoredoms of her sister.
- She lusted after the children of Asshur [her] neighbours, governors and rulers, clothed most gorgeously, horsemen riding upon horses, all of them attractive young men.
- And I saw that she was defiled: both took one way.
- And she increased her fornications;
for she saw men portrayed upon the wall, the images of the Chaldeans portrayed with vermilion,
- girded with girdles upon their loins, with flowing turbans on their heads, all of them captains in appearance, [after] the likeness of the children of Babylon, of Chaldea, the land of their nativity.
- And as soon as she saw them with her eyes, she lusted after them, and sent messengers unto them into Chaldea.
- And the children of Babylon came to her into the bed of love, and they defiled her with their fornication;
she too defiled herself with them, and her soul was alienated from them.
- And she discovered her whoredoms, and discovered her nakedness;
and my soul was alienated from her, like as my soul was alienated from her sister.
- Yet she multiplied her whoredoms, calling to remembrance the days of her youth, wherein she played the harlot in the land of Egypt;
- and she lusted after their paramours, whose flesh is [as] the flesh of asses, and whose issue is [as] the issue of horses.
- And thou didst look back to the lewdness of thy youth, in the handling of thy teats by the Egyptians, for the breasts of thy youth.
- Therefore, Oholibah, thus saith the Lord Jehovah: Behold, I will raise up thy lovers against thee, from whom thy soul is alienated, and I will bring them against thee on every side.
- The children of Babylon, and all the Chaldeans, Pekod and Shoa and Koa, all the children of Asshur with them;
all of them attractive young men, governors and rulers, great lords and renowned, all of them riding upon horses.
- And they shall come against thee [with] armour, chariots and wheels, and with an assemblage of peoples;
they shall set themselves against thee [with] target, and shield, and helmet round about;
and I will put judgment before them, and they shall judge thee according to their judgments.
- And I will set my jealousy against thee, and they shall deal furiously with thee: they shall cut off thy nose and thine ears, and thy remnant shall fall by the sword;
they shall take thy sons and thy daughters;
and thy residue shall be devoured by the fire.
- They shall also strip the of thy garments, and take away thy fair jewels.
- And I will make thy lewdness to cease from thee, and thy whoredom [brought] from the land of Egypt;
and thou shalt not lift up thine eyes unto them, nor remember Egypt any more.
- For thus saith the Lord Jehovah: Behold, I will give thee over into the hand of them whom thou hatest, into the hand of them from whom thy soul is alienated.
- And they shall deal with thee in hatred, and shall take away all thy labour, and shall leave thee naked and bare;
so that the nakedness of thy whoredoms shall be discovered, both thy lewdness and thy fornications.
- These things shall be done unto thee, because thou hast gone a whoring after the nations, because thou hast defiled thyself with their idols.
- Thou hast walked in the way of thy sister;
and I have given her cup into thy hand.
- Thus saith the Lord Jehovah: Thou shalt drink of thy sister's cup deep and large;
thou shalt be for a laughing-stock and a derision, [for] it containeth much.
- Thou shalt be filled with drunkenness and sorrow, with the cup of astonishment and desolation, the cup of thy sister Samaria;
- thou shalt even drink it and suck it out, and thou shalt gnaw the sherds thereof, and pluck off thine own breasts: for I have spoken [it], saith the Lord Jehovah.
- Therefore thus saith the Lord Jehovah: Because thou hast forgotten me, and cast me behind thy back, therefore bear thou also thy lewdness and thy fornications.
- And Jehovah said unto me, Son of man, wilt thou judge Oholah and Oholibah?
yea, declare unto them their abominations.
- For they have committed adultery, and blood is in their hands;
and with their idols have they committed adultery, and have also passed over unto them their children, whom they bore unto me, to be devoured.
- Moreover this have they done unto me: in the same day have they defiled my sanctuary and profaned my sabbaths.
- For when they had slaughtered their children unto their idols, they came the same day into my sanctuary to profane it;
and behold, thus have they done in the midst of my house.
- And furthermore, they sent for men to come from far, unto whom a messenger was sent;
and behold, they came: for whom thou didst wash thyself, paintedst thine eyes, and deckedst thyself with ornaments;
- and satest upon a stately bed, with a table prepared before it, whereupon thou hadst set mine incense and mine oil.
- And the voice of a multitude living carelessly was with her;
and with people of the common sort were brought Sabeans from the wilderness, and they put bracelets upon their hands, and a beautiful crown upon their heads.
- And I said of her that was old in adulteries, Will she now commit her fornications, even she.
- And they went in unto her, as they go in unto a whorish woman: so went they in unto Oholah and unto Oholibah the lewd women.
- And righteous men, they shall judge them with the judgment of adulteresses, and with the judgment of women that shed blood;
for they are adulteresses, and blood is in their hands.
- For thus saith the Lord Jehovah: I will bring up an assemblage against them, and will give them to be driven hither and thither and spoiled.
- And the assemblage shall stone them with stones, and despatch them with their swords;
they shall kill their sons and their daughters, and burn their houses with fire.
- And I will cause lewdness to cease out of the land, and all women shall receive instruction and shall not do according to your lewdness.
- And they shall recompense your lewdness upon you, and ye shall bear the sins of your idols;
and ye shall know that I [am] the Lord Jehovah.