- And in the ninth year, in the tenth month, on the tenth of the month, the word of Jehovah came unto me, saying,
- Son of man, write thee the name of the day, of this selfsame day: on this selfsame day the king of Babylon draws near to Jerusalem.
- And propose a parable unto the rebellious house, and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord Jehovah: Set on the pot, set [it] on, and also pour water into it.
- Gather the pieces thereof into it, every good piece, the thigh and the shoulder;
fill [it] with the choice bones:
- take the choice of the flock;
and also [put] a pile of wood under it, for the bones;
make it boil well, and let the bones of it seethe therein.
- Therefore thus saith the Lord Jehovah: Woe to the bloody city, to the pot whose rust is therein, and whose rust is not gone out of it!
Bring it out piece by piece;
let no lot fall upon it:
- for her blood is in the midst of her;
she set it upon the bare rock;
she poured it not upon the ground, to cover it with dust.
- That it might cause fury to come up to execute vengeance, I have set her blood upon the bare rock, that it should not be covered.
- Therefore thus saith the Lord Jehovah: Woe to the bloody city!
I also will make the pile great.
- Heap on the wood, kindle the fire, boil thoroughly the flesh, and spice it well, and let the bones be burned.
- Then set it empty upon its coals, that it may be hot, and the brass of it may burn, and that its filthiness may be molten in it, [and] that its rust may be consumed.
- She hath exhausted [her] labours, yet her great rust goeth not forth out of her: let her rust be in the fire.
- In thy filthiness is lewdness, for I have purged thee, and thou art not pure.
Thou shalt no more be purged from thy filthiness, till I have satisfied my fury upon thee.
- I Jehovah have spoken [it]: it shall come to pass, and I will do it;
I will not go back, neither will I spare, nor will I repent.
According to thy ways, and according to thy doings, shall they judge thee, saith the Lord Jehovah.
- And the word of Jehovah came unto me, saying,
- Son of man, behold, I take away from thee the desire of thine eyes with a stroke;
yet thou shalt not mourn nor weep, neither shall thy tears run down.
- Sigh in silence, make no mourning for the dead;
bind thy turban upon thee, and put thy sandals upon thy feet, and cover not the beard, and eat not the bread of men.
- — And I spoke unto the people in the morning;
and at even my wife died.
And I did in the morning as I was commanded.
- And the people said unto me, Wilt thou not tell us what these things are to us, which thou doest?
- And I said to them, The word of Jehovah came unto me, saying,
- Say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord Jehovah: Behold, I will profane my sanctuary, the pride of your strength, the desire of your eyes, and your soul's longing;
and your sons and your daughters whom ye have left behind shall fall by the sword.
- And ye shall do as I have done: ye shall not cover the beard, neither eat the bread of men;
- and your turbans shall be upon your heads, and your sandals upon your feet: ye shall not mourn nor weep;
but ye shall waste away in your iniquities and moan one toward another.
- Thus Ezekiel shall be unto you a sign;
according to all that he hath done shall ye do: when it cometh, then ye shall know that I [am] the Lord Jehovah.
- And thou, son of man, shall it not be in the day when I take from them their strength, the joy of their glory, the desire of their eyes, and that whereunto they lift up their soul, their sons and their daughters,
- that in that day he that escapeth shall come unto thee, to cause [thine] ears to hear [it]?
- In that day shall thy mouth be opened to him that is escaped, and thou shalt speak, and be no more dumb.
So shalt thou be a sign unto them;
and they shall know that I [am] Jehovah.