- And he cried in mine ears with a loud voice, saying, Draw near, ye that have charge of the city, and every man [with] his destroying weapon in his hand.
- And behold, six men came from the way of the upper gate, which is turned toward the north, and every man [with] his slaughter weapon in his hand;
and in the midst of them, one man clothed with linen, with a writer's ink-horn by his side;
and they went in, and stood beside the brazen altar.
- And the glory of the God of Israel was gone up from the cherub, whereupon it was, to the threshold of the house;
and he called to the man clothed with linen, who had the writer's ink-horn by his side;
- and Jehovah said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that are done in the midst thereof.
- And to the others he said in my hearing, Go after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have pity.
- Slay utterly the old man, the young man, and the maiden, and little children, and women;
but come not near any man upon whom is the mark;
and begin at my sanctuary.
Then they began at the elders who were before the house.
- And he said unto them, Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain: go forth.
And they went forth, and smote in the city.
- And it came to pass, while they were smiting, and I was left, that I fell upon my face, and cried, and said, Ah, Lord Jehovah!
wilt thou destroy all the remnant of Israel in thy pouring out of thy fury upon Jerusalem?
- And he said unto me, The iniquity of the house of Israel and Judah is exceeding great, and the land is full of blood, and the city full of perverseness;
for they say, Jehovah hath forsaken the earth, and Jehovah seeth not.
- And as for me also, mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: I will recompense their way upon their head.
- And behold, the man clothed with linen, who had the ink-horn by his side, reported the matter, saying, I have done as thou hast commanded me.