- And Abram was ninety-nine years old, when Jehovah appeared to Abram, and said to him, I [am] the Almighty God: walk before my face, and be perfect.
- And I will set my covenant between me and thee, and will very greatly multiply thee.
- And Abram fell on his face;
and God talked with him, saying,
- It is I: behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of a multitude of nations.
- And thy name shall no more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham;
for a father of a multitude of nations have I made thee.
- And I will make thee exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.
- And I will establish my covenant between me and thee, and thy seed after thee in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be a God to thee, and to thy seed after thee.
- And I give to thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land of thy sojourning, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession;
and I will be a God to them.
- And God said to Abraham, And [as for] thee, thou shalt keep my covenant, thou and thy seed after thee in their generations.
- This is my covenant which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee — that every male among you be circumcised.
- And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin;
and [that] shall be a sign of the covenant between me and you.
- And at eight days old shall every male in your generations be circumcised among you — he who is born in the house, and he who is bought with money, any stranger who is not of thy seed.
- He who is born in thy house, and he who is bought with thy money, must be circumcised;
and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.
- And the uncircumcised male who hath not been circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that soul shall be cut off from his peoples: he hath broken my covenant.
- And God said to Abraham, [As to] Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name.
- And I will bless her, and I will give thee a son also of her;
and I will bless her, and she shall become nations: kings of peoples shall be of her.
- And Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall [a child] be born to him that is a hundred years old?
and shall Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear?
- And Abraham said to God, Oh that Ishmael might live before thee!
- And God said, Sarah thy wife shall indeed bear thee a son;
and thou shalt call his name Isaac;
and I will establish my covenant with him, for an everlasting covenant for his seed after him.
- And for Ishmael I have heard thee: behold, I will bless him, and will make him fruitful, and will very greatly multiply him;
twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.
- But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, whom Sarah shall bear to thee at this appointed time in the next year.
- And he left off talking with him;
and God went up from Abraham.
- And Abraham took Ishmael his son, and all who were born in his house, and all who were bought with his money — every male among the people of Abraham's house — and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin on that same day, as God had said to him.
- And Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
- And Ishmael his son was thirteen years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
- In the selfsame day was Abraham circumcised, and Ishmael his son;
- and all the men of his house, born in his house, or bought with money of the stranger, were circumcised with him.