- And it came to pass at that time, that Judah went down from his brethren, and turned in to a man of Adullam whose name was Hirah.
- And Judah saw there the daughter of a Canaanitish man whose name was Shua;
and he took her, and went in to her.
- And she conceived and bore a son;
and he called his name Er.
- And she again conceived and bore a son, and she called his name Onan.
- And again she bore a son, and she called his name Shelah;
and he was at Chezib when she bore him.
- And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, and her name was Tamar.
- And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of Jehovah, and Jehovah slew him.
- Then Judah said to Onan, Go in to thy brother's wife, and fulfil to her the brother-in-law's duty, and raise up seed to thy brother.
- But when Onan knew that the seed should not be his own, it came to pass when he went in to his brother's wife, that he spilled [it] on the ground, in order to give no seed to his brother.
- And the thing which he did was evil in the sight of Jehovah, and he slew him also.
- And Judah said to Tamar his daughter-in-law, Remain a widow in thy father's house, until Shelah my son is grown;
for he said, Lest he die also, as his brethren.
And Tamar went and remained in her father's house.
- And as the days were multiplied, Judah's wife, the daughter of Shua, died.
And Judah was comforted, and he went up to his sheep-shearers, to Timnah, he and his friend Hirah the Adullamite.
- And it was told Tamar, saying, Behold thy father-in-law is going up to Timnah to shear his sheep.
- And she put the garments of her widowhood off from her, and covered herself with a veil, and wrapped herself, and sat in the entry of Enaim, which is on the way to Timnah;
for she saw that Shelah was grown, and she was not given to him as wife.
- And Judah saw her, and took her for a harlot;
because she had covered her face.
- And he turned aside to her by the way, and said, Come, I pray thee, let me go in to thee;
for he did not know that she was his daughter-in-law.
And she said, What wilt thou give me, that thou mayest come in to me?
- And he said, I will send [thee] a kid of the goats from the flock.
And she said, Wilt thou give [me] a pledge, until thou send it?
- And he said, What pledge shall I give thee?
And she said, Thy signet, and thy lace, and thy staff which is in thy hand.
And he gave [it] her, and went in to her;
and she conceived by him.
- And she arose and went away;
and she laid by her veil from her, and put on the garments of her widowhood.
- And Judah sent the kid of the goats by the hand of his friend the Adullamite, to receive the pledge from the woman's hand;
but he found her not.
- And he asked the men of her place, saying, Where is the prostitute that was at Enaim, by the way-side?
And they said, There was no prostitute here.
- And he returned to Judah, and said, I have not found her;
and also the men of the place said, No prostitute has been here.
- Then Judah said, Let her take [it] for herself, lest we be put to shame.
Behold, I sent this kid, and thou hast not found her.
- And it came to pass about three months after, that it was told Judah, saying, Tamar thy daughter-in-law has committed fornication, and behold, she is also with child by fornication.
And Judah said, Bring her forth, that she may be burned.
- When she was brought forth, she sent to her father-in-law, saying, By the man to whom these [belong] am I with child;
and she said, Acknowledge, I pray thee, whose are this signet, and this lace, and this staff.
- And Judah acknowledged [them], and said, She is more righteous than I, because I have not given her to Shelah my son.
And he knew her again no more.
- And it came to pass at the time of her delivery, that behold, twins were in her womb.
- And it came to pass when she brought forth, that one stretched out [his] hand, and the midwife took it and bound round his hand a scarlet thread, saying, This came out first.
- And it came to pass as he drew back his hand, that behold, his brother came out;
and she said, How hast thou broken forth!
on thee be the breach!
And they called his name Pherez.
- And afterwards came out his brother, round whose hand was the scarlet thread;
and they called his name Zerah.