- And Man knew Eve his wife;
and she conceived, and bore Cain, and said, I have acquired a man with Jehovah.
- And she further bore his brother Abel.
And Abel was a shepherd, but Cain was a husbandman.
- And in process of time it came to pass that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering to Jehovah.
- And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock, and of their fat.
And Jehovah looked upon Abel, and on his offering;
- and upon Cain, and on his offering, he did not look.
And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell.
- And Jehovah said to Cain, Why art thou angry, and why is thy countenance fallen?
- If thou doest well, will not [thy countenance] look up [with confidence]?
and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door;
and unto thee [shall be] his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
- And Cain spoke to Abel his brother, and it came to pass when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
- And Jehovah said to Cain, Where is Abel thy brother?
And he said, I know not: am I my brother's keeper?
- And he said, What hast thou done?
the voice of thy brother's blood is crying to me from the ground.
- And now be thou cursed from the ground, which hath opened its mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand.
- When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield thee its strength;
a wanderer and fugitive shalt thou be on the earth.
- And Cain said to Jehovah, My punishment is too great to be borne.
- Behold, thou hast driven me this day from the face of the ground, and from thy face shall I be hid;
and I shall be a wanderer and fugitive on the earth;
and it will come to pass, [that] every one who finds me will slay me.
- And Jehovah said to him, Therefore, whoever slayeth Cain, it shall be revenged sevenfold.
And Jehovah set a mark on Cain, lest any finding him should smite him.
- And Cain went out from the presence of Jehovah, and dwelt in the land of Nod, toward the east of Eden.
- And Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch.
And he built a city;
and he called the name of the city after the name of his son Enoch.
- And to Enoch was born Irad;
and Irad begot Mehujael;
and Mehujael begot Methushael;
and Methushael begot Lemech.
- And Lemech took two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the second, Zillah.
- And Adah bore Jabal: he was the father of those who dwell in tents, and [breed] cattle.
- And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of those who handle the harp and pipe.
- And Zillah, she also bore Tubal-Cain, the forger of every kind of tool of brass and iron.
And the sister of Tubal-Cain was Naamah.
- And Lemech said to his wives: Adah and Zillah, hear my voice, Ye wives of Lemech, listen to my speech.
For I have slain a man for my wound, and a youth for my bruise.
- If Cain shall be avenged seven-fold;
Lemech seventy and seven fold.
- And Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son, and called his name Seth: … For God has appointed me another seed instead of Abel, because Cain has slain him.
- And to Seth, to him also was born a son;
and he called his name Enosh.
Then people began to call on the name of Jehovah.