- And Israel took his journey with all that he had, and came to Beer-sheba;
and he offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac.
- And God spoke to Israel in the visions of the night and said, Jacob, Jacob!
And he said, Here am I.
- And he said, I am God, the God of thy father: fear not to go down to Egypt;
for I will there make of thee a great nation.
- I will go down with thee to Egypt, and I will also certainly bring thee up;
and Joseph shall put his hand on thine eyes.
- And Jacob rose up from Beer-sheba;
and the sons of Israel carried Jacob their father, and their little ones, and their wives, on the waggons that Pharaoh had sent to carry him.
- And they took their cattle, and their goods which they had acquired in the land of Canaan, and came to Egypt, Jacob and all his seed with him;
- his sons and his sons' sons with him, his daughters and his sons' daughters and all his seed he brought with him to Egypt.
- And these are the names of the sons of Israel who came into Egypt: Jacob and his sons.
Jacob's firstborn, Reuben.
- And the sons of Reuben: Enoch, and Phallu, and Hezron, and Carmi.
- — And the sons of Simeon: Jemuel, and Jamin, and Ohad, and Jachin, and Zohar, and Saul the son of a Canaanitish woman.
- — And the sons of Levi: Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.
- — And the sons of Judah: Er, and Onan, and Shelah, and Pherez, and Zerah;
but Er and Onan died in the land of Canaan.
And the sons of Pherez were Hezron and Hamul.
- — And the sons of Issachar: Tola, and Puah, and Job, and Shimron.
- — And the sons of Zebulun: Sered, and Elon, and Jahleel.
- — These are the sons of Leah, whom she bore to Jacob in Padan-Aram;
and his daughter, Dinah.
All the souls of his sons and his daughters were thirty-three.
- And the sons of Gad: Ziphion and Haggi, Shuni and Ezbon, Eri, and Arodi, and Areli.
- — And the sons of Asher: Jimnah, and Jishvah, and Jishvi, and Beriah;
and Serah their sister;
and the sons of Beriah: Heber and Malchiel.
- — These are the sons of Zilpah, whom Laban gave to Leah his daughter;
and she bore these to Jacob: sixteen souls.
- The sons of Rachel Jacob's wife: Joseph and Benjamin.
- And to Joseph in the land of Egypt were born Manasseh and Ephraim, whom Asnath bore to him, the daughter of Potipherah the priest in On.
- — And the sons of Benjamin: Belah, and Becher, and Ashbel, Gera and Naaman, Ehi and Rosh, Muppim, and Huppim, and Ard.
- — These are the sons of Rachel who were born to Jacob: all the souls were fourteen.
- And the sons of Dan: Hushim.
- — And the sons of Naphtali: Jahzeel, and Guni, and Jezer, and Shillem.
- — These are the sons of Bilhah, whom Laban gave to Rachel his daughter;
and she bore these to Jacob: all the souls were seven.
- All the souls that came with Jacob to Egypt, that had come out of his loins, besides Jacob's sons' wives: all the souls were sixty-six.
- And the sons of Joseph who were born to him in Egypt, were two souls.
All the souls of the house of Jacob that came to Egypt were seventy.
- And he sent Judah before him to Joseph, to give notice before he came to Goshen.
And they came into the land of Goshen.
- Then Joseph yoked his chariot, and went up to meet Israel his father, to Goshen, and he presented himself to him;
and he fell on his neck, and wept on his neck a good while.
- And Israel said to Joseph, Now let me die, after I have seen thy face, since thou still livest.
- And Joseph said to his brethren and to his father's house, I will go up, and tell Pharaoh, and say to him, My brethren and my father's house, who were in the land of Canaan, are come to me;
- and the men are shepherds, for they have been occupied with cattle;
and they have brought their sheep, and their cattle, and all that they have.
- And it shall come to pass that when Pharaoh shall call you and say, What is your occupation?
- then ye shall say, Thy servants are men that have been occupied with cattle from our youth even until now, both we and our fathers;
in order that ye may dwell in the land of Goshen;
for every shepherd is an abomination to the Egyptians.