- In the second year of Darius the king, in the sixth month, on the first day of the month, came the word of Jehovah by the prophet Haggai unto Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest, saying,
- Thus speaketh Jehovah of hosts, saying, This people say, The time is not come, the time that Jehovah's house should be built.
- And the word of Jehovah came by Haggai the prophet, saying,
- Is it time for you that ye should dwell in your wainscoted houses, while this house lieth waste?
- And now thus saith Jehovah of hosts: Consider your ways.
- Ye have sown much, and bring in little;
ye eat, but are not satisfied;
ye drink, but are not filled with drink;
ye clothe yourselves, but there is none warm;
and he that earneth wages earneth wages for a bag with holes.
- Thus saith Jehovah of hosts: Consider your ways.
- Go up to the mountain and bring wood, and build the house, and I will take pleasure in it, and I will be glorified, saith Jehovah.
- Ye looked for much, and behold it was little;
and when ye brought it home, I blew upon it.
saith Jehovah of hosts.
Because of my house that lieth waste, whilst ye run every man to his own house.
- Therefore over you the heavens withhold their dew, and the earth withholdeth its fruit.
- And I called for a drought upon the land, and upon the mountains, and upon the corn, and upon the new wine, and upon the oil, and upon that which the ground bringeth forth, and upon man, and upon cattle, and upon all the labour of the hands.
- And Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, and Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest, and all the remnant of the people, hearkened to the voice of Jehovah their God, and the words of Haggai the prophet, according as Jehovah their God had sent him, and the people feared before Jehovah.
- Then spoke Haggai, Jehovah's messenger, in Jehovah's message unto the people, saying, I am with you, saith Jehovah.
- And Jehovah stirred up the spirit of Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and the spirit of Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest, and the spirit of all the remnant of the people;
and they came and worked at the house of Jehovah of hosts, their God,
- in the four and twentieth day of the sixth month, in the second year of Darius the king.