- Israel is an unpruned vine, he bringeth forth fruit unto himself: according to the abundance of his fruit he hath multiplied altars;
according to the goodness of his land they have made goodly statues.
- Their heart is divided;
now shall they be found guilty: he will break down their altars, he will destroy their statues.
- For now they will say, We have no king, for we feared not Jehovah;
and a king, what can he do for us?
- They speak [mere] words, swearing falsely in making a covenant;
therefore shall judgment spring up as hemlock in the furrows of the fields.
- The inhabitants of Samaria shall fear because of the calf of Beth-aven;
for the people thereof shall mourn over it, and the idolatrous priests thereof shall tremble for it, for its glory, because it is departed from it.
- Yea, it shall be carried unto Assyria [as] a present for king Jareb: Ephraim shall be seized with shame, and Israel shall be ashamed of his own counsel.
- As for Samaria her king is cut off as chips upon the face of the waters.
- And the high places of Aven, the sin of Israel, shall be destroyed: the thorn and the thistle shall come up upon their altars;
and they shall say to the mountains, Cover us!
and to the hills, Fall on us!
- From the days of Gibeah hast thou sinned, O Israel: there they stood: the battle in Gibeah against the children of iniquity did not overtake them.
- At my pleasure will I chastise them;
and the peoples shall be assembled against them, when they are bound for their two iniquities.
- And Ephraim is a trained heifer, that loveth to tread out [the corn];
I have passed over upon her fair neck: I will make Ephraim to draw;
Judah shall plough, Jacob shall break his clods.
- Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap according to mercy;
break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek Jehovah, till he come and rain righteousness upon you.
- Ye have ploughed wickedness, reaped iniquity, eaten the fruit of lies;
for thou didst confide in thy way, in the multitude of thy mighty men.
- And a tumult shall arise among thy peoples, and all thy fortresses shall be spoiled, as Shalman spoiled Beth-arbel in the day of battle: the mother was dashed in pieces with the children.
- So shall Bethel do unto you because of the wickedness of your wickedness: at day-break shall the king of Israel utterly be cut off.