- When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.
- As they called them, so they went from them: they sacrificed unto the Baals, and burned incense to graven images.
- And I it was that taught Ephraim to walk, — He took them upon his arms, — but they knew not that I healed them.
- I drew them with bands of a man, with cords of love;
and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I gently caused them to eat.
- He shall not return into the land of Egypt, but the Assyrian shall be his king;
for they refused to return [to me];
- and the sword shall turn about in his cities, and shall consume his bars, and devour [them], because of their own counsels.
- Yea, my people are bent upon backsliding from me: though they call them to the Most High, none at all exalteth [him].
- How shall I give thee over, Ephraim?
[how] shall I deliver thee up, Israel?
how shall I make thee as Admah?
[how] shall I set thee as Zeboim?
My heart is turned within me, my repentings are kindled together.
- I will not execute the fierceness of mine anger, I will not again destroy Ephraim;
for I am God, and not man, — the Holy One in the midst of thee: and I will not come in anger.
- They shall walk after Jehovah;
he shall roar like a lion;
when he shall roar, then the children shall hasten from the west:
- they shall hasten as a bird out of Egypt, and as a dove out of the land of Assyria;
and I will cause them to dwell in their houses, saith Jehovah.
- Ephraim encompasseth me about with lies, and the house of Israel with deceit;
but Judah yet walketh with God, and with the holy things of truth.