- Ephraim feedeth on wind, and pursueth after the east wind: all day long he multiplieth lies and desolation;
and they make a covenant with Assyria, and oil is carried into Egypt.
- Jehovah hath also a controversy with Judah, and he will punish Jacob according to his ways;
according to his doings will he recompense him.
- He took his brother by the heel in the womb, and in his strength he wrestled with God.
- Yea, he wrestled with the Angel, and prevailed;
he wept, and made supplication unto him: he found him in Bethel, and there he spoke with us,
- — even Jehovah, the God of hosts, — Jehovah is his memorial.
- And thou, return unto thy God: keep loving-kindness and judgment, and wait on thy God continually.
- [He is] a merchant, balances of deceit are in his hand;
he loveth to oppress.
- And Ephraim saith, Nevertheless I am become rich, I have found me out substance;
in all my labours they shall find none iniquity in me that were sin.
- But I [that am] Jehovah thy God from the land of Egypt will again make thee to dwell in tents, as in the days of the solemn feast.
- And I have spoken to the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and by means of the prophets have I used similitudes.
- If Gilead is iniquity, surely they are but vanity: they sacrifice bullocks in Gilgal;
yea, their altars are as heaps in the furrows of the fields.
- And Jacob fled into the country of Syria, and Israel served for a wife, and for a wife he kept [sheep].
- And by a prophet Jehovah brought Israel out of Egypt, and by a prophet was he preserved.
- Ephraim provoked [him] to anger most bitterly;
and his Lord shall leave his blood upon him, and recompense unto him his reproach.