- When I would heal Israel, then the iniquity of Ephraim is discovered, and the wickedness of Samaria: for they practise falsehood;
and the thief entereth in, [and] the troop of robbers assaileth without.
- And they say not in their hearts [that] I remember all their wickedness: now do their own doings encompass them;
they are before my face.
- They make the king glad with their wickedness, and the princes with their lies.
- They all practise adultery, as an oven heated by the baker: he ceaseth from stirring [the fire] after he hath kneaded the dough, until it be leavened.
- In the day of our king, the princes made themselves sick with the heat of wine: he stretched out his hand to scorners.
- For they have applied their heart like an oven to their lying in wait: their baker sleepeth all the night;
in the morning it burneth like a flaming fire.
- They are all hot as an oven, and devour their judges;
all their kings are fallen: there is none among them that calleth unto me.
- Ephraim, he mixeth himself with the peoples;
Ephraim is a cake not turned.
- Strangers have devoured his strength, and he knoweth [it] not;
yea, gray hairs are here and there upon him, and he knoweth [it] not.
- And the pride of Israel testifieth to his face;
and they do not return to Jehovah their God, nor seek him for all this.
- And Ephraim is become like a silly dove without understanding: they call to Egypt, they go to Assyria.
- When they go, I will spread my net upon them;
I will bring them down as the fowl of the heavens;
I will chastise them, according as their assembly hath heard.
- Woe unto them!
for they have wandered from me;
destruction unto them!
for they have transgressed against me.
And I would redeem them;
but they speak lies against me.
- And they cried not unto me in their heart, when they howled upon their beds;
they assemble themselves for corn and new wine;
they have turned aside from me.
- I have indeed trained, I have strengthened their arms, but they imagine mischief against me.
- They return, [but] not to the [Most] High: they are like a deceitful bow.
Their princes shall fall by the sword for the rage of their tongue: this shall be their derision in the land of Egypt.