- The burden of the desert of the sea.
As whirlwinds in the south pass through, so it cometh from the desert, from a terrible land.
- A grievous vision is declared unto me: the treacherous dealeth treacherously, and the spoiler spoileth.
Go up, Elam!
All the sighing thereof have I made to cease.
- Therefore are my loins filled with pain;
anguish hath taken hold upon me, as the anguish of a woman in travail: I am bowed down so as not to hear, I am dismayed so as not to see.
- My heart panteth, horror affrighteth me: the night of my pleasure hath he turned into trembling unto me.
- Prepare the table, appoint the watch;
eat, drink: arise, ye princes, anoint the shield.
- For thus hath the Lord said unto me: Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth.
- And he saw chariots, horsemen by pairs, a chariot with asses, a chariot with camels;
and he hearkened diligently with much heed.
- And he cried [as] a lion, Lord, I stand continually upon the watchtower in the daytime, and I am set in my ward whole nights.
- — And behold, there cometh a chariot of men;
horsemen by pairs.
And he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen;
and all the graven images of her gods he hath broken unto the ground.
- O my threshing, and the corn of my floor!
What I have heard of Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel, have I declared unto you.
- The burden of Dumah.
He calleth to me out of Seir, Watchman, what of the night?
Watchman, what of the night?
- The watchman said, The morning cometh, and also the night: if ye will inquire, inquire;
- The burden against Arabia.
In the forest of Arabia shall ye lodge, [ye] caravans of Dedanites.
- Bring ye water to meet the thirsty!
The inhabitants of the land of Tema come forth with their bread for him that fleeth.
- For they flee from the swords, from the drawn sword, and from the bent bow, and from the grievousness of war.
- For thus hath the Lord said unto me: Within a year, according to the years of a hired servant, and all the glory of Kedar shall fail;
- and the residue of the number of the archers, the mighty men of the sons of Kedar, shall be diminished: for Jehovah, the God of Israel, hath spoken.