- For behold, the Lord, Jehovah of hosts, will take away from Jerusalem and from Judah stay and staff, the whole stay of bread, and the whole stay of water,
- the mighty man and the man of war, the judge and the prophet, and the diviner and the elder,
- the captain of fifty, and the honourable man, and the counsellor, and the clever among artificers, and the one versed in enchantments.
- And I will appoint youths as their princes, and children shall rule over them.
- And the people shall be oppressed one by the other, and each by his neighbour;
the child will be insolent against the elder, and the base against the honourable.
- When a man shall take hold of his brother, in his father's house, [and shall say:] Thou hast clothing;
be our chief, and let this ruin be under thy hand;
- he will lift up [his hand] in that day, saying, I cannot be a healer, and in my house there is neither bread nor clothing;
ye shall not make me a chief of the people.
- For Jerusalem stumbleth and Judah falleth, because their tongue and their doings are against Jehovah, to provoke the eyes of his glory.
- The look of their face doth witness against them, and they declare their sin as Sodom: they hide it not.
Woe unto their soul!
for they have brought evil upon themselves.
- Say ye of the righteous that it shall be well [with him], for they shall eat the fruit of their doings.
- Woe unto the wicked!
it shall be ill [with him], because the desert of his hands shall be rendered unto him.
- [As for] my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them.
they that guide thee mislead [thee], and destroy the way of thy paths.
- Jehovah setteth himself to plead, and standeth to judge the peoples.
- Jehovah will enter into judgment with the elders of his people and their princes, [saying:] It is ye that have eaten up the vineyard: the spoil of the poor is in your houses.
- What mean ye that ye crush my people, and grind the faces of the afflicted?
saith the Lord, Jehovah of hosts.
- And Jehovah said, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched-out neck and wanton eyes, and go along mincing, and making a tinkling with their feet;
- therefore the Lord will make bald the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and Jehovah will lay bare their secret parts.
- In that day the Lord will take away the ornament of anklets, and the little suns and crescents,
- the pearl-drops, and the bracelets, and the veils,
- the head-dresses, and the stepping chains, and the girdles, and the scent-boxes, and the amulets;
- the finger-rings, and the nose-rings;
- the festival-robes, and the tunics, and the mantles, and the wallets;
- the mirrors, and the fine linen bodices, and the turbans, and the flowing veils.
- And it shall come to pass, instead of perfume there shall be rottenness;
and instead of a girdle, a rope;
and instead of well-set hair, baldness;
and instead of a robe of display, a girding of sackcloth;
brand instead of beauty.
- Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy mighty in the fight;
- and her gates shall lament and mourn;
and, stripped, she shall sit upon the ground.