- Woe to thee that spoilest, and thou wast not spoiled;
and that dealest treacherously, and they dealt not treacherously with thee!
When thou shalt cease to spoil, thou shalt be spoiled;
when thou shalt make an end of dealing treacherously, they shall deal treacherously with thee.
- Jehovah, be gracious unto us;
we have waited for thee: be their arm every morning, yea, our salvation in the time of trouble.
- At the noise of the tumult the peoples fled;
at the lifting up of thyself the nations were scattered.
- And your spoil shall be gathered [like] the gathering of the caterpillar: as the running of locusts shall they run upon it.
- Jehovah is exalted;
for he dwelleth on high: he hath filled Zion with justice and righteousness;
- and he shall be the stability of thy times, the riches of salvation, wisdom and knowledge: the fear of Jehovah shall be your treasure.
- Behold, their valiant ones cry without;
the messengers of peace weep bitterly.
- The highways are desolate, the wayfaring man ceaseth.
He hath broken the covenant, he hath despised the cities, he regardeth no man.
- The land mourneth, it languisheth;
Lebanon is ashamed, is withered;
the Sharon is become as a desert, and Bashan and Carmel are stripped.
- Now will I arise, saith Jehovah;
now will I be exalted, now will I lift up myself.
- Ye shall conceive dry grass, ye shall bring forth stubble: your breath shall devour you [as] fire.
- And the peoples shall be [as] burnings of lime, [as] thorns cut up shall they be burned in the fire.
- Hear, ye that are far off, what I have done;
and ye that are near, acknowledge my might.
- The sinners in Zion are afraid;
trembling hath surprised the hypocrites: Who among us shall dwell with the consuming fire?
who among us shall dwell with everlasting flames?
- — He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly;
he that despiseth the gain of oppressions, that shaketh his hands from taking hold of bribes, that stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, and shutteth his eyes from seeing evil:
- he shall dwell on high, the fortresses of the rocks shall be his high retreat;
bread shall be given him, his water shall be sure.
- Thine eyes shall see the King in his beauty;
they shall behold the land that is far off.
- Thy heart shall meditate on terror: Where is the scribe?
where is the receiver?
where is he that counted the towers?
- Thou shalt no more see the fierce people, a people of a deeper speech than thou canst comprehend, of a stammering tongue that cannot be understood.
- Look upon Zion, the city of our solemnities: thine eyes shall see Jerusalem a quiet habitation, a tent that shall not be removed, the stakes whereof shall never be pulled up, neither shall any of its cords be broken;
- but there Jehovah is unto us glorious, — a place of rivers, of broad streams: no galley with oars shall go there, neither shall gallant ship pass thereby.
- For Jehovah is our judge, Jehovah, our lawgiver, Jehovah, our king: he will save us.
- Thy tacklings are loosed;
they strengthen not the socket of their mast, they cannot spread the sail: then is the prey of a great spoil divided;
the lame take the prey.
- And the inhabitant shall not say, I am sick: the people that dwell therein shall be forgiven [their] iniquity.