- And now hear, Jacob, my servant, and Israel, whom I have chosen:
- thus saith Jehovah, that made thee, and formed thee from the womb, who helpeth thee, Fear not, Jacob, my servant, and thou, Jeshurun, whom I have chosen.
- For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground;
I will pour my Spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring.
- And they shall spring up among the grass, as willows by the water-courses.
- One shall say, I am Jehovah's;
and another shall call [himself] by the name of Jacob;
and another shall write with his hand: [I am] Jehovah's, and surname [himself] by the name of Israel.
- Thus saith Jehovah, the King of Israel, and his Redeemer, Jehovah of hosts: I [am] the first, and I [am] the last, and beside me there is no God.
- And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people?
And the coming things, and those that shall happen, let them declare unto them.
- Fear not, neither be afraid.
Have I not caused thee to hear from that time, and have declared it?
and ye are my witnesses.
Is there a +God beside me?
yea, there is no Rock: I know not any.
- They that form a graven image are all of them vanity, and their delectable things are of no profit;
and they are their own witnesses: they see not, nor know;
— that they may be ashamed.
- Who hath formed a god, or molten a graven image that is profitable for nothing?
- Behold, all his fellows shall be ashamed;
and the workmen are but men.
Let them all be gathered together, let them stand up: they shall fear, they shall be ashamed together.
- The iron-smith [hath] a chisel, and he worketh in the coals, and he fashioneth it with hammers, and worketh it with his strong arm;
— but he is hungry, and his strength faileth;
he hath not drunk water, and he is faint.
- The worker in wood stretcheth out a line;
he marketh it out with red chalk;
he formeth it with sharp tools, and he marketh it out with the compass, and maketh it after the figure of a man, according to the beauty of man: that it may remain in the house.
- When he heweth him down cedars, he taketh also a holm-oak and a terebinth — he chooseth for himself among the trees of the forest: he planteth a pine, and the rain maketh [it] grow.
- And it shall be for a man to burn, and he taketh thereof, and warmeth himself;
he kindleth it also, and baketh bread;
he maketh also a god, and worshippeth it;
he maketh it a graven image, and falleth down thereto.
- He burneth part thereof in the fire;
with part thereof he eateth flesh, he roasteth roast, and is satisfied;
yea, he is warm, and saith, Aha, I am become warm, I have seen the fire.
- And with the remainder thereof he maketh a god, his graven image;
he falleth down unto it, and worshippeth it, and prayeth unto it, and saith, Deliver me, for thou art my god.
- They have no knowledge, and understand not;
for he hath plastered their eyes, that they may not see;
and their hearts, that they may not understand.
- And none taketh it to heart, neither is there knowledge nor understanding to say, I have burned part of it in the fire, and have also baked bread upon the coals thereof, I have roasted flesh, and eaten [it], and with the rest thereof shall I make an abomination?
shall I bow down to a block of wood?
- He feedeth on ashes;
a deceived heart hath turned him aside, that he cannot deliver his soul, nor say, Is there not a lie in my right hand?
- Remember these things, O Jacob, and Israel, for thou art my servant;
I have formed thee: thou art my servant, Israel;
thou shalt not be forgotten of me.
- I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me;
for I have redeemed thee.
- Sing, ye heavens;
for Jehovah hath done it: shout, ye lower parts of the earth;
break forth into singing, ye mountains, the forest, and every tree therein!
For Jehovah hath redeemed Jacob, and glorified himself in Israel.
- Thus saith Jehovah, thy Redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb: I [am] Jehovah, the maker of all things;
who alone stretched out the heavens, who did spread forth the earth by myself;
- — he that frustrateth the tokens of the liars, and maketh diviners mad;
that turneth wise men backward, and maketh their knowledge foolish;
- that confirmeth the word of his servant, and performeth the counsel of his messengers;
that saith to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be inhabited;
and to the cities of Judah, Ye shall be built up, and I will raise up their ruins;
- that saith to the deep, Be dry, and I will dry up thy rivers;
- that saith of Cyrus, [He is] my shepherd, and he shall perform all my pleasure;
even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be built;
and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid.