- Thus saith Jehovah: Where is the bill of your mother's divorce, whom I have put away?
or which of my creditors is it to whom I have sold you?
Behold, through your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away.
- Wherefore did I come, and there was no man?
I called, and there was none to answer?
Is my hand at all shortened that I cannot redeem, or have I no power to deliver?
behold, at my rebuke I dry up the sea, I make rivers a wilderness;
their fish stink because there is no water, and die for thirst.
- I clothe the heavens with blackness, and I make sackcloth their covering.
- The Lord Jehovah hath given me the tongue of the instructed, that I should know how to succour by a word him that is weary.
He wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the instructed.
- The Lord Jehovah hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious;
I turned not away back.
- I gave my back to smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair;
I hid not my face from shame and spitting.
- But the Lord Jehovah will help me: therefore shall I not be confounded;
therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.
- He is near that justifieth me: who will contend with me?
let us stand together;
who is mine adverse party?
let him draw near unto me.
- Behold, the Lord Jehovah will help me;
who is he that shall condemn me?
Behold, they all shall grow old as a garment;
the moth shall eat them up.
- Who is among you that feareth Jehovah, that hearkeneth to the voice of his servant?
he that walketh in darkness, and hath no light, — let him confide in the name of Jehovah, and stay himself upon his God.
- Behold, all ye that kindle a fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your fire, and among the sparks [that] ye have kindled.
This shall ye have of my hand: ye shall lie down in sorrow.