- Who hath believed our report?
and to whom hath the arm of Jehovah been revealed?
- For he shall grow up before him as a tender sapling, and as a root out of dry ground: he hath no form nor lordliness, and when we see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
- He is despised and left alone of men;
a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief, and like one from whom [men] hide their faces;
— despised, and we esteemed him not.
- Surely *he* hath borne our griefs and carried our sorrows;
and we, we did regard him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
- But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities;
the chastisement of our peace was upon him, and with his stripes we are healed.
- All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned every one to his own way;
and Jehovah hath laid upon him the iniquity of us all.
- He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, but he opened not his mouth;
he was led as a lamb to the slaughter, and was as a sheep dumb before her shearers, and he opened not his mouth.
- He was taken from oppression and from judgment;
and who shall declare his generation?
for he was cut off out of the land of the living;
for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
- And [men] appointed his grave with the wicked, but he was with the rich in his death, because he had done no violence, neither was there guile in his mouth.
- Yet it pleased Jehovah to bruise him;
he hath subjected [him] to suffering.
When thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see a seed, he shall prolong [his] days, and the pleasure of Jehovah shall prosper in his hand.
- He shall see of [the fruit of] the travail of his soul, [and] shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant instruct many in righteousness;
and *he* shall bear their iniquities.
- Therefore will I assign him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong: because he hath poured out his soul unto death, and was reckoned with the transgressors;
and he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.