- Oh, that thou wouldest rend the heavens, that thou wouldest come down, — that the mountains might flow down at thy presence,
- — as fire kindleth brushwood, as the fire causeth water to boil, to make thy name known to thine adversaries, that the nations might tremble at thy presence!
- When thou didst terrible things [which] we looked not for, thou camest down, and the mountains flowed down at thy presence.
- Never have [men] heard, nor perceived by the ear, nor hath eye seen a God beside thee, who acteth for him that waiteth for him.
- Thou meetest him that rejoiceth to do righteousness, those that remember thee in thy ways: (behold, thou wast wroth, and we have sinned:) in those is perpetuity, and we shall be saved.
- And we are all become as an unclean [thing], and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags;
and we all fade as a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, have carried us away;
- and there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee;
for thou hast hidden thy face from us, and hast caused us to melt away through our iniquities.
- And now, Jehovah, thou art our Father;
we are the clay, and thou our potter;
and we all are the work of thy hand.
- Be not wroth very sore, O Jehovah, neither remember iniquity for ever.
Behold, see, we beseech thee, we are all thy people.
- Thy holy cities are become a wilderness, Zion is a wilderness, Jerusalem a desolation.
- Our holy and our beautiful house, where our fathers praised thee, is burnt up with fire, and all our precious things are laid waste.
- Wilt thou restrain thyself in presence of these things, Jehovah?
Wilt thou hold thy peace, and afflict us very sore?